SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Chesapeake Beach
“Very Happy”
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I traveled to Charleston to visit family the second week of August and stayed at the Springhill Suites. I was very happy with the location, check-in, breakfast, pool and the room. I am very picky when I select a hotel but this hotel was very nice. Breakfast time has been extended to 10am on weekdays which was nice for the days we got to sleep in. Hotel staff was very nice when I spoke with them but I didn't ask many questions as I am familiar with the area. Overall my son and I had a great time and would stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My family stayed at SpringHill suites in Charleston during our vacation in mid-July. All appeared to be well when we first arrived, but don't be fooled - the quality of our stay quickly deteriorated. The cleaning staff was one of our biggest complaints: the beds were clean enough, but the appliances, bathroom fixtures and floor were all generally grimy looking, but the main issue was that they lost two of our items! First, they took a quick-dry towel that we had brought, and we did eventually recover that, but they also lost a pair glasses from the bedside table, which we will now have to replace, of course, at our own expense. I also overheard one member of the staff complaining about how awful her job was, loudly, in the hall on the way out one morning. Furthermore, the rest of the staff just seems completely incompetent. It's difficult to speak to any member of the front desk without them looking at you as though they have no idea what you're talking about. The pool was closed for an entire day with little explanation and no apology, and 3 of the 4 times we tried to go to the pool they were out of towels and neglected to bring any more even when the issue was brought to the staff's attention. At one point, they started construction in our hall, and though they weren't banging around during sleeping hours, it was strange and a little disconcerting, especially as there was no warning and, once again, no apology. The elevators are old and slow, slow, slow, and the stairs, which, though carpeted, aren't air conditioned, nor do they smell pleasant in any way. Lastly, the breakfast is just awful. Even though this is clearly a hotel geared towards family vacations, the breakfast hours are the ridiculously early hours of a business hotel (6am to 9am) and they are out most of the food by 8am and do not bother to restock. This hotel's only redeeming qualities were its close proximity to downtown Charleston and other towns, such as Mount Pleasant, and the fact that it offered relatively comfortable beds. All in all, this hotel was understaffed, ill-equipped, and completely incapable of handling the number of guests it holds. We were very disappointed by this Marriott property when others we have stayed in have been perfectly nice. We most definitely would not recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank rockymtn4
fowler62, Manager at SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at SpringHill Suites by Marriott Charleston Riverview. I have reviewed your comments and would like to share with you the changes we have made to correct our mistakes. All hoteliers experience service breakdowns from time to time and Marriott is no different. What we do from this point is listen to what our guests have to say and make immediate changes to provide better service.

You reported that your treasured pair of glasses were lost and we were not able to return them to you. The staff did not handle your problem with the urgency and compassion that they should have. We have mandated a new policy for handling of this type of issue. The person who receives the call is required to follow this until a resolution is reached. Urgency and compassion is required when dealing with valuable items.

Also, just to update, we have extended our breakfast hours from 6am-10am to better suit our guests. Our ultimate to goal is to make our guests feel right at home, and we want you to truly feel like you are on vacation-- even if you are traveling for business.

Lastly, I apologize for the lack of communication regarding the pool being closed and construction in your hallway. As a group we have learned a lot from this mistake and are determined to grow from the experience. We have had a meeting with each department to ensure that proper communication is taking place regarding any issues and possible hindrances for our guests.

Please accept my sincere apology for the problems you experienced while staying at SpringHill Suites. The feedback you have provided is helping us to improve our hotel. I hope you will return to SpringHill Suites the next time you are in Charleston and see for yourself the improvements we have made.
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I stayed here recently with my husband for a wedding and was extremely disappointed. The hotel was packed with people that were also there for weddings that weekend. It took 20 minutes to get on an elevator and the breakfast area had no food by 8:00am. Also, the actual rooms were old, moldy, and dirty. The carpet was disgusting and the A/C didn't work. It was 90 degrees outside and probably 85 in our room. We repeatedly asked the front desk to fix it and got nowhere. Lastly, we didn't get any sleep the entire time we were there, because people were talking in the halls and slamming doors until the wee hours. There are so many fantastic hotels in Charleston to stay at, don't get stuck at this one.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PharmaTravelGirl
Lexington, South Carolina, USA
Reviewed May 24, 2010

My hubby and I just returned from Charleston for a weekend getaway for our anniversary. We had originally wanted to stay downtown so we could just walk everywhere. We ended up staying here at SpringHill. I am so glad we did. The location to everything was so worth it! We felt like we had the best of both worlds an awesome view of the marina and a the convenience of the shuttle to take us downtown. If I had to give 1 critique, it would be that the elevator was a little slow. But I really think that had to do with the number of people staying there this weekend. There was someone in the elevator everytime we got on. The staff were extremely courtesy and helpful. The complementary continental breakfast was more than enough to satisfiy any traveler. I really can't say enough nice things about this place.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
fowler62, Owner at SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad to hear that you and your husband had a great anniversary! We look forward to seeing you in the future!
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed April 29, 2010

This was the worst Marriott property that I've ever stayed at. The rooms were ugly yellow paint. Looked like it was a very old property. I was only there for two nights for a friends wedding, but I would not willingly stay here again.

The room did have a microwave and a refridgerator which you hardly ever see in a room anymore.

The grounds keeper/pool cleaners were washing down the concrete areas and creating a mess that we had to walk through to get to the wedding, which almost ruined a new pair of shoes that I bought to wear to the wedding.

The front desk people were also not very informative when I asked them where the wedding was even though the entire wedding party was staying at the hotel.

There is a La Quinta across the lake from this one which probably would have been a better place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
fowler62, Owner at SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
Just to update- We are currently undergoing renovations (to be completed by March 2011). We can understand your frustration of not knowing where to go for your friend's wedding. Charleston is actually the #2 wedding destination in America, and we accommodate an abundance of wedding parties at a time. Unfortunately, we are not always aware of where each wedding ceremony takes place. Had we known the location, we would have been more than happy to direct you appropriately. We appreciate all comments, and will do what we can to rectify the situations. Thank you.
Rome, Ga
Reviewed January 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for two nights and we were completely satisfied with every aspect of Springhill. We stayed here once before and had the same excellent service. We are very wary travelers because of the recent reoccurence of bed bugs in many places. There was a review of a place on Daniel Island where two people made reference to them; the management made no reply to our e-mail concerning this. When we entered the room at Springhill, the lights were already on; the room smelled clean. The carpet was immaculate--I would have gone without my shoes on it. The bathroom was spotless. Yes, we checked for bed bugs (we always do) and found no evidence of them. The breakfast was delicious and the staff helpful and friendly. Now that my air force son has a house in Charleston, we will not be staying here anymore, but if we had to we would definitely choose this place. It is a little difficult to find but well worth the hunt. You will not be disappointed! I am a very "picky" person about where I stay--this rates high on my list of a place to stay in Charleston.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RDash
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the time you spent for the great feedback!
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Stayed here 2 nights. Property is generally clean, breakfast was excellent, rooms have nice layout with a somewhat secluded desk/bar area near the entrance. Once you find the place the first time (a little tricky), it's quick access across a bridge that puts you right on Calhoun street. At that point, you can head east to the aquarium and boat dock area, or turn south on King or Meeting for downtown.

Value was great. Staff was responsive to a problem (leaky toilet found upon check in - we were immediately switched to a different, nearby room). We would return anytime.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for your kinds comments. We strive for excellence at the Springhill Suites by Marriott and are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to you staying with us in the future!