“Worst dining experience ever.”

Brick House Kitchen
Ranked #338 of 916 Restaurants in Charleston
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Worst dining experience ever.”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The food was good...not great, but good. That's where the compliments end. I was 1 of a party of 9 on a not too crowded evening. We placed our orders and waited forever. Meanwhile, a table next to us who came much later gets their food before us, but their food was actually three of our parties dishes. After 30 seconds to a minute the waiter said "I'm sorry, this isn't yours." and removed the food, returning to the kitchen, only to quickly return with what I can only assume was the same plated food. There was much confusion on the part of the waitress as to what the food was and some sides were missing. THIRTY MINUTES LATER the sides arrived. 15 minutes after that my appetizer arrived along with my meal. Appetizer was 3-4 slices of tomatoes and a half dozen or so cukes on a small bed of greens...$6. My sautéed shrimp were good, but there were only 8 of them, with a few sautéed onions served over brown rice, with a side of fresh but unremarkable squash...$16. I ordered another beer because mine was hot after nearly 1 hour of waiting and I was charged for both. When my bill arrived, it was wrong. I pointed this out to the waitress who ROLLED HER EYES and promptly returned with an itemized bill for $2 more than the prior bill. I jokingly said "this ones $2.00 more than the last" to which she replied, "That's your problem!" I'll never return, and she did not get a tip. This is the only time in my life that I have not left a tip.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Sdbserv

“Excellent food- love the ambience”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed on Folly beach and drove by here several times before we decided to stop and eat here. I had the Grouper with sweet potatoes and my husband had the crab cakes. Both were so fresh and delicious. The best of both we've ever had. The sweet potatoes were cooked to perfection with a thin crunchy caramelized crust. We both loved how the food wasn't overly salted like we've had too many times with seafood. We asked for Mai Tais in the bar and were not disappointed. We has the goat cheese and crostini appetizer with fresh local tomatoes that were perfectly ripened (trust me- I grow my own tomatoes and these were fresh). We had the chocolate pot for dessert. The portions were more then ample. The service was excellent. Our waiter was able to describe each dish without hesitation. One of the best memories we'll have of our trip.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Patiodon
Columbia, South Carolina
“Out of the way spot on the way to Folly Beach, don't pass it by.”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had driven by The Brick House Kitchen several times on the way to Folly Beach. Finally stopped. What a treat. The interior of the house is very eclectic. Seating is unique. The service was very good. Our server was very efficient and was offered several suggestions for dinner.

My Wife had the Greek Salad which was one of the best salads she had ever gotten. For dinner she ordered the shrimp and linguine. It was a large and very tasty entree. I ordered the crap cakes. They wee stuffed full of crap and were very tasty. The only negative was that they were a little over done on the bottom, otherwise they were wonderful.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Beesnest
Germanton, North Carolina
“Fabulous find - just what we were looking for near Folly”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for something away from the crowds at Folly and decided to try the Brick House Kitchen. What a find! It doesn't look like much from the road (a hard to read sign and a flashing board with the hours) but we were very pleasantly surprised. The menu was small (3 apps, salads, maybe 6 entrees) but the food was fantastic and very fresh. I had angel hair pasta chocked full of shrimp, artichokes, tomatoes and feta and there was plenty to share. We sat outside and listened to a live band by the firepit--very relaxing. Inside the house looked comfy but a little more upscale than the very laid back atmosphere outside. This is a family owned restaurant (a nice young man who waited on us said he spent some of his childhood in this house, and now his sister was in the kitchen and his mom made all the wonderful desserts). This is the type of local place I love to support!! Definitely give The BHK a try!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank turnerj116
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Clean local food in a fuss-free environment”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had driven by this restaurant many times. It looks like a dive bar that has seen one too many bon fires in its parking lot. And maybe that's true. But a closer look reveals a charming old brick house with a lovely porch and twinkle lights. The dining rooms are not fancy, but clean and classy in a no-frills way.

The menu is small and changes daily with just 4 or 5 seafood entrees and a few pasta selections, soups, salads and apps. My daughter ordered a bucket of local oysters for $8. I had 2 crab cakes, quinoa and green beans for $14 and my husband tried the grouper. We were all very satisfied. The food is also no frills, but tasty and fresh. There are no heavy sauces just herb butters and light pan sauces. Nothing on the menu was more than $15 the day we were there. Can't say if that is always the case.

It's not much to look at from the road and would be easy to drive right by, but worth the stop.

• Visited April 2013