“Fishing on the wando”

The Reel Deal Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Year-round inshore/offshore, deep-sea & big game saltwater fishing. “Best prices in the Lowcountry”; licenses, bait & tackle included. Targeting RedDrum, SeaTrout, Sheepshead, Snapper, Grouper, Dolphin, Tuna, Wahoo, Shark & many others. Captain Rich operates multiple boats for your “Reel” fishing experience!
Hanahan, South Carolina
“Fishing on the wando”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was my second time fishing with Reel Deal Charters and i have had a blast both times. My Capt. has been Brian Garris both times and i will continue to ask for him. He is very helpful and answers all your questions esp if your trying to learn a little bit about the fish and how to catch them.

Visited June 2014

Cleveland, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Ruined Charleston weekend.”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I contacted Theresa Harris with Real Deal Charters on on 7/16 requesting information on a 9 hour deap sea fishing trip. On 7/18, I called to confirm that my son and I would be comimg to Charleston on 7/24 and would like to book a Charter. The trip and rates were agreed to and the dates were conditional based on weather. I indicated how important the trip was and that we could go on 7/24, 7/ 25, or 7/26. Her statement to me was your first on the list as soon as I get a weather report. I called Ms. Harris a total of 6 times between 7/23 and 7/25 and each time she indicated that she was waiting on a weather report but that I was first on her list. On 7/25, I was told by Ms.Harris at 9:30am that she was waiting on the latest weather report. At 1:30 pm the same day she told me her boats were full for the 26th, but she could get us on a trip on the morning of 7/27. At 3:30 on 7/26 she infomed me by text message that she was not going to be able honor our agreement. At such a late time and date I was not abe to find another Charter. In my opinion Ms. Harris and Real Deal Charters make a living brokering fishing trips by getting as many people to commit to a trip as possible without knowing if Ms Harris and Real Deal Charters are going to be able to fullfill those commitments. If you are coming to Charleston for a charter fishing trip, book your trip with a reputable Capatain that will honor his commitments. Thanks Ms. Harris for a ruined Charleston weekend.

4 Thank Greg H
TheReelDealCharters, Owner at The Reel Deal Charters, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Greg H. ,

Let me again apologize that you did not get on the pay-by-the-person deep sea bottom trip; which is designed to operate on a first-come-first-serve basis. You were in fact given the opportunity to pay for a full priced charter for Sunday 7/27, which would have allowed you to make the trip because of its importance to you. We had no other people interested in fishing that day, but would still make the trip for you if desired. As stated on our website, 6 passengers are required to operate the pay-by-the-person trips. You were at the top of the list to go Saturday 7/26, and I called and left a voice mail on your cell phone on Thursday 7/24 @1039 stating that the captains had given the “all-clear” for the weather on Saturday. Unfortunately between the times that voicemail was left and the time you actually called back, all three bottom fishing boats filled up for that Saturday. If it was that important to you, then I feel you would have called back sooner. I cannot hold seats for people that have not confirmed with a credit card, that they definitely want those seats. I don’t have your exact response time, but three boats with 18 people got seated. To start with, only 16 people were initially listed; but calls were received and people wanted to get on board, an of the initial 16 – some of them decided not to go. We take names and numbers and call passengers back when cleared to run; however of the said people that intend on actually going, only around 50% actually call back once contacted with an actual trip. We always have the option for people to rent the whole boat if wanting the guarantee of doing that trip, and have quite a few customers that do just that. This method works, it is just like buying a guaranteed airline ticket, versus flying on stand-by.

I’d like to correct the fact that you stated on 7/26 I texted you that I would not honor our agreement. My text at 2:49 that day stated, “At this time I have not gotten anyone else wanting to go deep sea tomorrow, if you would like to rent the whole boat we have that option available, however it’s not very cost effective. If you’d like to fish inshore I can still get a trip together for you to do so. Please let me know of your intentions, thank you.” What you don’t realize is that day I had contacted all eleven of our regulars that stay on a standby list, wanting to get on a trip, and no one was interested for that following day. We also held an inshore slot, should you desire wanting to go inshore fishing that day. I assure you that I do not broker fishing trips, I am a full-fledged fishing charter company that run more than 1000 charters each year, taking care of thousands of customers. As far as using reputable captains, all of my captains are very reputable, in fact I stand firm in that I employ the best captains in the Charleston area. I am not a captain, I am a business owner, and pride myself with my vast knowledge of travel and fishing, and that I run not only the largest, but the best charter company in the state of South Carolina.

I feel that you are unnecessarily placing blame on only The Reel Deal Charters. Whereas your cell phone may not have been working, or you were not as accessible as we needed you to be once the decision to go was made by the offshore Captains. In any case you were the first person we called, but unfortunately the last to answer. I feel that we gave you first class service by even placing you and others on a standby listing for a trip. When conditions were met, enabling us to make a trip, a person actually called you to see if you were still interested in going. That to me seems like extraordinary customer service, and if we were able to contact you immediately and confirmed you on a trip, then you’d be singing our praises about how many fish you caught. It is unfortunate that our system did not work out for you; I wish it would have in the end.
St. Paul, MN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Fishing Experience”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We took a 2 hour fishing trip with Captain Tom and his first mate Kristy, and had a blast. They are great to be around and their banter and teamwork makes for a fun day. Clearly they knew what they were doing. I have hired a lot of fishing guides in the past and am an experienced angler, and this team had it down. We caught 2 sharks and a giant sting ray, which was awesome! Thanks for the great time Tom and Kristy. I will be calling again when I am back in Charleston.

Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great day on the sea”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Great experience! Set up was simple with Theresa! Thank you. All details were covered. Fishing day details were perfect.. Time, place, equipment, etc.. We took the deep sea bottom fishing charter. Captain Rich put us right on the fish and we absolutely had a blast. Caught enough to fill our keep limits, and then turned to the "AJ" and wore ourselves out. Can't say enough about our experience. Thanks Theresa and Capt. Rich. We will be back!

2 Thank Mike T
Georgetown, IN
“Lots of fun, relaxation, and excitement in one trip!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Captain Tom and his First Mate Christie made our trip fun, safe, comfortable, educational, and exciting. We caught plenty of fish to eat and saw lots of beautiful scenery. Each of the four of us caught two sharks! That was exciting! Upon our return to shore, Captain Tom cleaned and filleted our fish and gave us the name of a local restaurant that would prepare our fish for us. We followed his recommendation of getting half of them grilled and half blackened. Excellent dinner! Fantastic experience fishing! I highly recommend this activity and this company.