“Great Atmosphere”
Review of Osteria la Bottiglia - CLOSED

Osteria la Bottiglia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great wine bar with savory Italian plates! Easy feel like you are sitting in a small, local bar in a Tuscany. Informal with just the right ambience!
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We've eaten here several times. Excellent food each time; appetizers, fresh pasta, fish dishes are terrific. Not as expensive as some other Charleston restaurants. Warm, relaxing environment. They seem to get stressed when busy; much better experience during slow times. Nice bar.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Okay...I'm the first to agree that not everyone with an internet connection deserves to be a restaurant critic. That being said I will not speak to anything other than what I have known as a profession for over 25 years in a city where I've lived for 20 years...which would be service.

Service on many levels. Grass roots with quick service, to go, banquet, catering, café style, sit down, casual, full service and fine dining. Small places, moms and pops 900 sqft. Medium sized restaurants, big 12,000 sqft, multi concept under one roof. Low revenue $800 a day...high volume...$50k (yes $50k) per shift...places so busy that most desperate restaurant owners would throw their money away if they had the cash flow of the restaurants I've worked for. Suffice it to say that I've seen and done a lot...in the restaurant sense. What I've never seen...what I've never done...I witnessed in this place.

I will begin by saying that our server (bartender) was impeccably dressed. Coiffed by the finest stylist I'm sure. Great manicure. Beautiful watch and very well spoken. His command of our English was expressed initially when my wife asked about a dish she had enjoyed on the previous visit which was a special. His response:

"It's graduation and mother's day...what you see is what you get! I don't want to get my head bitten off by the kitchen for asking for something special."

Lighten up Francis...she didn't ask for something special...just a dish that she had enjoyed before (by the way...she's a glu-tard and the dish she had before was gluten free...that's why she asked).

This guy's obviously a mixologist...it's written all over him. Too coo fo skoo. That's great. The group I work for has a cocktail bar and I get it. However, he happens to be working in a WINE BAR so when we ordered wine it was baffling that he seem to be put out. Tried to sell me something I didn't order...again I get it. Forget about the fact that when we ordered water we were ignored. Upon the second request for H2O I had to specifically request NO water and humbly ask if my wife may have some. He eventually obliged.

Soup to start...wonderful gazpacho with cantaloupe...nice touch! Would have been doubly great if either of us were provided a spoon. Kind of 101 stuff in my opinion. Of course our server (bartender) expressed that "THEY should have brought a spoon!". Cheese was great served with delicate crostini and amazing green olives...our new favorite. As we ate our appetizers Mr. Personality was gracious enough to ask:

"You going to order anything else?."

Yes was the short answer....we didn't order the next course just then. Not because we didn't know...mostly to be d!cks.

We ordered different pasta dishes which were amazing! Best house made pasta that I've had in this city. Of course our silver was removed with the first course and never replaced so we sat and admired in aesthetic way the food that we were served. Again our host said:

"THEY should have told me the food was coming!"

Just then another party (and by party I mean 3 people which brought his total guests to 5 people) sat and he inquired of the host in an elevated tone:

"HEY! Are they EATING at the bar?!"...the nerve of people eating in a dining establishment.

BoBo was kind enough to share with us how he had "decided" to come on board full time because "He could really get behind the food."

I wonder what his second and third choices were...maybe district attorney? securities analyst? well dressed, expensive watch, great hair MD?

We'll definitely be back!

2  Thank Naci123
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Went here while on the Charleston Culinary Tour. We had an amazing dish of pasta with pesto, walnut and tomato. Good wine list. Intimate, warm atmosphere.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went to check it out as we had seen the reviews and it looked promissing. Our reservation was handled professionally, our table was ready when we arrived and the setting is charming.
The waitress attended to us right away and we got our nice bottle of red and water right away. The wine list is well assorted, but not over the top. The menu is limited, but it is an Osteria, not really a restaurant. We had an excellent soup and the cesar salad was nice too. Unfortunately the meatballs were a complete let down, no taste, luke warm and the sauce was so, so. My wife's pasta must have been sitting in the kitchen as everything stuck together and the taste was average at best. The highlight was the Tajarin. Truly fresh pasta and very delicious. However, all of the above would have been ok or acceptable would the mains have come out in time. After our starters we waited almost 20 minutes for our waitress to attend to us and remove the first course plates. Once that was done it again took for ages until our main finally showed up. The staff apologized and said the order had been lost, but that did not make up for it as we then had again wait for our waitress to ask for our bill. So, two out 5 dishes were truly great, the rest mediocre, the service was truly bad. Good atmosphere, but a bit pricy. No reason to come back.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This restaurant was lovely and smelled great....but while the waitress raved about how authentic the food was, I've had better meals at Wendy's. I read the reviews and can't believe the raves. This was our experience....the menu was extremely limited..the chef makes 4 kinds of fresh pasta every day and all food is cooked to order....sounds good right?....when my husband asked to have the tomato basil dish on something other than angel hair, he was told no...if he wanted the other pasta he would have to order the chicken thigh dinner W/pesto sauce....he doesn't like pesto but could not have any other sauce on the pasta. He settled on Raviolio ( large ravioli with an egg inside) Which he said was ok but not really good. We were given 1 small flat saucer (size of the bottom of a wine bottle) with Plain Olive oil for 4 people to dip bread...which was pretty dry and tasteless. The meatballs were the size of Robin's eggs and the consistancy of raw meat without any flavor.....I could go on but you get the idea.When I go out to a nice restaurant I want delicious food...this was not even close. I don't understand where the excellent ratings came from...this was not like Italy. The best thing I can say is nobody got sick !