“A funny thing happened...”
Review of Osteria la Bottiglia - CLOSED

Osteria la Bottiglia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Great wine bar with savory Italian plates! Easy feel like you are sitting in a small, local bar in a Tuscany. Informal with just the right ambience!
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“A funny thing happened...”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

A delightful meal at an atmospheric restaurant with my daughter was spoiled when I left my lovely wool sweater on the back of my chair. When I returned (in less than 24 hours, just before their very next opening, as they only serve dinner), the maitre d' kept me locked out on the street even though I had called ahead! Although the junior staff could remember the sweater clearly and put it on one side, it appeared (curiously) that it had then been put on a chair instead of in the lost and found. Then they had mislaid it (they said) and, as they couldn't find it then and there, they promised effusively to mail it back immediately. At times the story lines varied, suggesting something amiss, then no phone calls were returned, and nothing arrived in the mail. The ending casts a shadow on the experience. A new sweater will cost as much or more than the dinner for two.

usa
“Felt like I was in Italy!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Love the ambiance of this restaurant, the food (especially the meat lasagna) was fabulous, and I can't say enough about the staff. We started off with mussels in white wine & garlic - a nice choice, along with the carpaccio of zucchini. This was a very different salad, thinly sliced zucchini with shaved Black Truffle cheese YUM! I ordered the Aged Tuscan Prosciutto & Mushrooms “All’Amiatina" which was excellent just too "garlicy" for me. The waitress smiled and without hesitation switched it out for the meat lasagna which was fabulous! It began to rain when we were leaving so we sat at the bar. The bartender couldn't have been more attentive. The rain became torrential so the waitress offered to drive us back to our hotel in her own personal car!! Wow talk about service! So between the delicious dinner & the gracious staff we definitely will be back.

1 Thank fallybear
Charleston, South Carolina
“Italy is right here in Charleston”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Walk into Osteria La Bottiglia and your in Rome, Venice, you name it. The ambiance is fantastic- no fancy hotel / big city restaurant, thank God.

The food - simply the best.

The service - friendly without being in your face, just like in Italy.

If you want to "go" to Italy and enjoy real italian food, this is it.

1 Thank Mike C
North Charleston, South Carolina
“Took us back to Sorrento!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

My wife & I had our first date at Il Cortele back when Massimiliano was there... We've since had our 1 year wedding anniversary and other significant occasions there. We were excited to find this, his new place, and begin a new set of memories and traditions here!

Simple flavors, well executed.

We started with the antipasto which had a trio of meats and cheeses--1 dried ham (prosciutto), and 2 salami's. All 3 were fantastic--especially the red wine cured salami--I cannot remember the names though... The cheeses were a blue, grana podana, and another that I cannot recall the name of but was soft & ripe. There were also fantastic olives, confit squah, and other delectable accoutrements.

We then split the caprese. Very good.

The star of dinner was the lemon pappardelle (tagliatelle?)! It was light and wonderful lemon flavor and was about as perfect as a pasta dish can be. The spaghetti with peas and prosciutto was also great, don't get me wrong, but the lemon pasta was just ethereal.

For dessert we had the chocolate cake with hazelnut complete with a candle for my wife's birthday as well as espresso & limoncello.

I had our server pair wines by the glass all night & everything she brought was perfect & delicious!

Trust them!

We will be back!

1 Thank smydauf
Tampa, Florida
“Nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Went there for dinner the day after we did the Charleston Culinary tour two weeks ago. Again forgot what my wife had for dinner but she really enjoyed it. I definitely remember what I had for dinner and why I docked one star. Ordered the Meat Lasagna. Tasted very good but one problem. There were mushrooms inside it. I hate mushrooms. Mushrooms are not a meat and one of my big pet peeves is that a menu should list major ingredients of the dishes. What if I was allergic and I ate one? I know you should ask before you order but if you can list mushrooms with other dishes, list it for all of them. They also offer a vegetarian lasagna. Otherwise this place is really cool, serves good wines, and provide live entertainment on certain nights. I would come back again, order something else to eat or not, and some wine to chill out.

Visited June 2012