“Unique but way off the beaten path”
Review of Fuel

Fuel
Ranked #119 of 932 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fuel (new restaurant) 211 Rutledge Ave. Charleston, SC 29403
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Went specifically because of DD&D. It was cold so the back wasn't really an option. They had Holy City Porter beer which was great! I had the pork tacos and my husband had the jerk chicken sandwich. He really liked his sandwich and the pork tacos were good but not amazing. What stole the show in my opinion were plantain fritters! Loved them!!! And our server was great too. Very attentive to our needs. It was a very relax, friendly environment and we enjoyed ourselves.

There are newer reviews for Fuel

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The fish tacos we order where great. Along with the soup of the day and the fresh salad. Would definatly go back and eat there again.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Great experience all around! I love that they have re-purposed this old gas station in this neighborhood into such a great spot. We went on Sunday aroiund 3:00 and had no wait, and found a parking space in their lot. Our server was outstanding, and our meals were so unique and delicious. We all had the chorizo burgers, which had just enough "kick." They were fantastic. The fried plantains were also delicious - almost a dessert more than a side, but that is the only thing I would change! I loved that it was "just enough" in the decor - not over-done or too "theme-y." Next time I will try the grilled shrimp tacos...this is a must for our trips to Charleston.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I get it, it's an old gas station - we weren't expecting ambiance but we were expecting good food. Guy really steered us wrong on this one. I'm just warning you - if you're inspired to go to Fuel thinking it'll be good because it was featured on DD&D - well then you might end up disappointed. We walked in & were seated inside for an early Saturday afternoon lunch. The place smelled of bleach (or some sort of cleaning fluid) - didn't enjoy feeling as if I was next to the janitor's station in a hallway. Anyhow, here's what we ordered & what we thought: 1) Pulled Pork Tacos - edible, okay... not bad, but not really good neither. 2) French Fries - tasted good, but again nothing special. Temperature of both the fries & tacos wasn't hot enough, which makes me question how freshly cooked these items were. 3) Grilled shrimp over green salad viniagrette - the 5 or 6 nice sized shrimp that topped this plate were good, well seasoned and fresh. 4) Black Bean Soup - total failure! It had the texture of thick, pureed baby food - any thicker & this "soup" would have been refried beans. One spoonful was enough to make you say, "it's okay", but boring enough to make you not wanna keep eating it. No way could I choke down an entire bowl unless somebody paid me to! Aside from the food quality our silverware was kind of dirty, a hair was stuck to the side of our glass of soda, bathrooms were not nice and service was so-so. And this is coming from a person who is not very hard to please. I say bring back the gas pumps!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Made reservations early. Had table waiting for us outside where the heaters were out of gas on a very cold night. Took an hour just to get our drink order taken. By the time our food arrived it was cold. Took another hour for our bill. Needless to say our dinner with reservation took over 3 hours to complete.