“Great Sushi, But I've Had Better”
Review of O-Ku

O-Ku
Reserve with OpenTable
O-Ku is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #129 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Radcliffe Street
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Sushi, But I've Had Better”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

O-Ku is a very relaxed kind of trendy restaurant. The restaurant itself is very nicely decorated and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

My boyfriend and I attended a dinner service this particular evening. I started with the Kabocha Lobster Bisque soup and... LET ME TELL YOU... It was a very good decision. The soup itself was very much like a butternut squash soup; creamy, flavorful, hot, and filled with tasty, plump pieces of perfectly cooked lobster. It's a MUST HAVE if you love butternut squash soup and/or lobster.

Our sushi dinners were next out of the kitchen... All of the rolls were wonderful, but I feel there's a point where sushi stops being sushi and starts to be entirely too complicated. The sushi was tasty, but between the sauces, fried panko crispies, and everything else, I feel there was just WAY too much going on in my rolls. I would like it if there were a few more stripped-down sushi options. As the title of this review indicates, the sushi was good, but I feel I've had better elsewhere.

We finished the meal off with our desserts. I got the Green Tea Pot de Creme (another GREAT choice) whereas my boyfriend (I believe) ordered a seasonal Napoleon. Basically, you can't go wrong with anything off of the dessert menu.

• Visited February 2014

Stamford, Connecticut, United States
“Contemporary sushi fushion”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Vacationed to Charleston with 10 other girls for a college reunion. A good friend who lives in the area raved about this restaurant. The ambience was amazing, very modern and lively. It was a little uncomfortable sitting at a high top table with a large group, but the waitress did a good job clearing the table of unused dishes. Besides the atmosphere - the food was great. Since we were all going straight to the bar after, we stayed light with sushi rolls, all which were very fresh. I particularly had the seaweed salad. I was a little disappointed because our waitress never brought it out and I ended up having to remind her when everyone was basically done with our meal. It was rather small for the price compared to other sushi restaurants and she did not even comp it. The manager came by to see how the service was. Overall it was a great atmosphere for the occasion, would go back if I had the opportunity.

• Visited February 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great seafood in a modern ambience”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Craving for some good seafood, we stumbled into this place on King Street. The decor is modern and romantic. Open kitchen and enormous mirrors create an inviting atmosphere. Staff is attentive. The friendly manager came to chat with us. We tried Red Snapper Crudo, Yellowtail carpaccio, and tuna tartare, all of which are fresh and delicious. Would definitely go back again to try more.

1 Thank tacz
Maryland
“Phenomenal Sushi Fusion”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Wife and I made a last minute reservation for day after Christmas dinner. We like sushi every now and then, and are both foodies. This place blew us away with the flavors, ambiance, and service. We were seated at one of my least favorite 2-top formats, the side by side sardine style, but quickly got past it. Our server was outstanding, letting us sample sips of the wonderful house wines before committing to a full glass, and full of knowledgable recommendations. The signature carpaccio yellowtail was amazing. Though not big oyster fans, we were talking into the chefs special tempura oysters. Once again, phenomenal flavor and crispy texture, with tender meat inside. I never would have guessed they were oysters if we hadn't known. Then the rock shrimp salad, tender fried shrimp with a spicy garlic sauce on some greens, scrumptious. The pièce de résistance was the white dragon roll, some sort of spicy fish inside, rolled in an outer skin of escolar. I've never heard of escolar fish. It had the texture of firm mashed potatoes, and a melt in your mouth flavor. Definitely a repeat visit worthy place.

1 Thank CulinarySnob
Columbia, SC
“Not your usual Japanese/Sushi restaurant”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

While O-Ku’s serves several mainstream sushi rolls, they also offer very unique must try dishes.

Service was outstanding – Somehow Joshua anticipated our every need. He was always there when we needed something without being on top of us the entire meal.

The surprise of the meal was easily Kabocha Lobster Bisque. Who would have thought the best Lobster Bisque in Charleston would come from a Japanese restaurant. Made from a pumpkin and Lobster stock and nice chunks of lobster, this was a bowl of heaven.

Next on the menu was the Yellowtail Carpaccio which was an elegant plate of fish with a truffle sauce topped with a spicy Serrano pepper

The Lobster Temaki consisted of three butter poached lobster hand rolls with asparagus. Obviously the star of this dish was the melt in your mouth pieces of lobster.

While the Salmon and Lemon Roll was a simple dish, having the ultra-thin shaved piece of lemon topping each piece of salmon, set this roll apart from other Salmon rolls we’ve had.

O-Ku offers a twist to one of the wife’s favorite by adding Tempura fried Oysters to a spider roll. She enjoyed this dish very much.

The only issue we had with the entire meal was the Wasabi Tobiko. While spicy as expected, the eggs had a slightly unpleasant fishy taste. I only wish I had not saved this roll for last.

We will definitely go back