“Very good sushi/ sashimi without relying on heavy mayo or fried”
Review of O-Ku

O-Ku
Reserve with OpenTable
O-Ku is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Radcliffe Street
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant. Nice atmosphere and we really enjoyed the food. I like the taste of sashimi and sushi without all the heavy unhealthy additives in some rolls(mayo, fried,etc). Oku delivered. Very favorful and tasty; good quality fish. We ordered the Ika sansai, poke, and lemon salmon rolls....all delicious. Our server was very knowledgable abiut the menu without being pushy. She was very attentive without being in the way.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

On top of their 1/2 price sushi, they also have drink specials for happy hour. Cheaper sushi AND drinks? How can you go wrong? You can't. So go. :)

We really enjoyed their sushi. The place was crowded when we got there and the only seats available were at the sushi bar. No problem for us. We asked our server his favorites and the most popular sushi rolls, since it was our first time here and he gave a great variety of suggestions. I was most intrigued to try their potato roll, with shoestring potatoes in it, but I admit I was not feeling that adventuresome that day. (I live in the mountains and sushi is a rare occurrence in our lives... I couldn't take a risk.) But turns out that was one of the most popular. I expressed my hesitation to our server and he admitted it wasn't one of his favorites, so I decided to pass. Since we couldn't decide which ones to get, we got 4 rolls for the two of us. That was an unknown poor choice, but let me tell you why. Since the restaurant was so busy we were given a bowl of edamame on the house, then since we were at the sushi bar we got 2 pieces of a specialty roll to try and then when all of our rolls came out, our server had been so nice and thoughtful and also provided us with a potato roll, on the house because he wanted me to try it. All of the rolls were fresh and most of the rolls we picked out were delicious, but funny enough the potato roll wound up being my favorite. All rolls were 8 pieces, except the potato roll at 10. Nearly 50 pieces of sushi + a bowl of edamame for two people left us beyond stuffed. Our waiter was impressed we finished it all, but like I said we can't get sushi in the mountains so it would've been blasphemy to NOT finish it all. Truth be told, we were so full it was almost painful to walk the 3 blocks back to our hotel.

The owner even came over to check on us, to make sure we enjoyed everything. Our waiter couldn't have been kinder. We had a really great time at O-Ku and will definitely visit again the next time we are in Charleston.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The sushi is the best Charleston has to offer and the atmosphere is great! The Zinfandel recommend by our server was great!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Food was ok. Great atmosphere and look on the inside. Its downtown on King street and people frequent often. Its close to the bars so great location

Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was my 2nd time at O-Ku for Sushi. Some of the best sushi ever tried. We were there for their happy hour so chose a variety of rolls which is served family style and very nicely displayed on the platter. After eating at O-Ku for Sushi, may wait until I return to Charleston for sushi again.