“Great for drinks”
Review of Husk Restaurant

Husk Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Husk Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 926 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Occupying adjacent spaces on Queen Street, Husk’s structures date back to the late 1800s. The main dining room, constructed in 1893, evokes the grandeur of Charleston, and speaks to the transformation of the city over time. Victorian details and turned columns were layered over the original Queen Anne-style façade through the years, and the buildings fell into disrepair until discovered by Husk ownership. The Neighborhood Dining Group President David Howard set into a motion an extensive remodeling effort of both. Although both buildings retain their antique charm and stately character, the renovations imbued each with a modern, minimalist theme. Like the reinterpreted food served within, each space has been laid bare, revealing reclaimed floors, original windows, and exposed brick throughout. The main house features an open kitchen with a wood-burning oven and dining room.
New York City, New York
“Great for drinks”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Nice selection of speciality drinks, typically a little low on the liquor content but still good. You'll need to book in advance for a weekend or else have to eat upstairs at the cocktail lounge

Visited February 2013

New York City, New York
“Do not miss if you are in Charleston”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Living in the low country myself as a little girl, I will always have a soft spot for its cuisine. However, I am also a foodie, so it is a real thrill to experience low country cooking with the best ingredients, skillfully prepared, and elevated without being unrecognizable. The ingredients here are so good, I sometimes just order the side of heirloom tomatoes with a little olive oil and salt as an appetizer. My husband, who is from New York, is crazy about the pigs ear lettuce wraps. And they have bourbon pairings with their desserts. Genius. Whenever I am in Charleston, I am sure to go, and I try to bring others as it does my childhood local cooking proud.

• Visited June 2012
Tallassee, Alabama
“Make reservations! It's worth the planning or wait”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had seen the restaurant featured on Bizarre Foods America with Andrew Zimmern and knew we wanted to try it so we made reservations. Everything was excellent.
The food was unique and fantastic. We had the pig ears lettuce wraps for appetizer. Outstanding. My husband had shrimp and grits, I had chicken terrine. Both were excellent. We shared chocolate chess pie for dessert.
The menu changes daily but I can't imagine anything on it being bad.

Visited March 2013
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Queens for the day!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I called ahead telling them that it was mom's bday. The food was incredible. We even had a recommendation in the parking garage. The service was impeccable. They started us with special birthday printed menus and a surprise of sparkling cider and a candle in her dessert.

She devoured the shrimp and grits and I loved the catfish. We shared the pecan tart with bourbon ice cream. You have to try it! It was southern food with a creative twist.

• Visited March 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
“good but not amazing”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

finally got to go to Husk after a long wait, and reservations that took 2 months to get! dinner was very good; we had fish, pork chop, and appetizers.....but wasn't overwhelmed as I expected to be. The fish was good, my husband's pork chop was good, but did not experience anything exceptional that evening. A VERY disappointing wine list. Short, and the one bottle we ordered was sold out! I'll pass on this restaurant for a while! The hype has overshadowed it.

Visited March 2013