“Great Walking Tour of Historic District”

Old Charleston Walking Tours
Ranked #40 of 236 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Charleston Walking Tours is proud to offer an array of narrated walks that cover the most interesting historical issues and sights in a city known for its turbulent past and unusual beauty. Our guides are the best in the business, with years of research and storytelling experience. They promise the kind of accuracy, insight and enthusiasm that create a delightful touring experience. Let them lead you to Charleston's hidden alleys and tell you what went on behind its closed doors.The daytime walks last approximately two hours. The ghost walks are shorter (and scarier).We go rain or shine. There are no hills. The pace is easy. Please join us. You'll be glad you did!
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a morning Historic History and Homes walking tour with Carol. Since she grew up in Charleston, she had a lot of interesting information to impart. We went on the Walk on our first full day in Charleston and were happy that we did. It helped us get our bearings and understand the architecture and history of the place we were visiting. I would highly recommend the Old Charleston Walking Tours

All reviews
"dennis stiles"
in 91 reviews
"ghost tour"
in 285 reviews
"mike brown"
in 48 reviews
"civil war and slavery tour"
in 34 reviews
"knew his stuff"
in 11 reviews
"spend an evening"
in 9 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 26 reviews
"local history"
"denny"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Wonderful and so worth it! I'm ashamed to admit that this is the first time I've done a review for TripAdvisor although I've used the site for years. The fact that I'm moved to review our walking tour with Dennis should tell you something about how excellent our experience was. Dennis was a pleasure to have as a guide to the significant cultural, political, and military locations in historic downtown Charleston. My husband and I are ex-military officers and are extremely well-read regarding the Civil War. Dennis impressed us with the width and breadth of his knowledge on Charleston's role in this nation-shaping conflict. What was even more impressive was his patience in dealing with our two girls, ages 9 & 12. They are currently homeschooled (because we love traveling), but even the most well-behaved child can be challenged by two hours of an adult blabbing. Dennis was engaging and non-judgmental as their attention occasionally strayed , and he did not come across as either condescending or pedantic. He was also not a clock watcher, but was obviously committed to answering our questions in as complete a way as possible. It's quite a testament to Charleston that such an accomplished traveler, linguist, and history buff decided to retire and make the city his home.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I took the ghost tour on 11/24/12 at 9:30. We arrived a little early and since it was just us an another couple we were able to get started early. I appreciated this as I had been walking all day and was getting tired. (I can act like an old lady, what can I say?) Mike was a really friendly guy and he let us ask any questions at all, about the city, ghosts, you name it. He didn't try the scary voice routine or invade personal space like a previous tour I had in St. Augustine. He just told the stories about each place we visited. I like that the best because true stories are the ones that have more impact in my opinion. I have been on ghost tours before but I have never been scared. This is the first time I can honestly say that I felt like I was being followed after we left the creepy, overgrown graveyard. I had this feeling like I should keep looking over my shoulder, and it lasted for a while. I'm just glad I didn't see the lady in the white dress!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We had a wonderful time on the Old Charleston walking ghost tour. The group was small and we felt special to be a part of it. Mike, our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and had awesome stories to tell.

The price was unbelievably inexpensive. In addition, using our "Living Social" coupon it was half off!