“Not what I expected”

and up
Ghost and Graveyard Tour in Charleston
Ranked #92 of 230 Tours in Charleston
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This tour was just OK. Nothing special. We walked and walked and walked and walked, then stood and stood and stood and stood. The tour seemed to drag out and the stories were less than scary. We took a ghost tour last year in Savannah and were blown away so I guess we are comparing it to that one. It might be fun for others but for us it was less than exciting.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

VERY HOT and suffocating in the jail. The building is interesting and has some intriguing stories, but did not the appreciate the "tone" in which the tour guide told the stories. Very insensitive tone and seemed pleased if she could SHOCK the guest. Believe me, the facility and the way the prisoners lived is shocking enough. Also, the guide did not speak slow enough or loud enough, so many in our party didn't hear half the stories. Constructive criticism would encourage the guide (Susan) to attend some public speaking classes (having trained tour guides in my past, I do have that expertise). Overall, the tour was a bit of a bust, though we did return the next day to take photos of the building.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My friend wanted to go to this. Her sister had gone before and said it was totally cheesy but fun. So I didn't expect much but I guess when I hear cheesy but fun, I think it'll be full of jokes and you'll get a laugh. Not the case. The thing that disappointed me the most was that we didn't go many places. We'd stand in the middle of an alley or in the middle of a square with shops and hear some old stories or tall tales. The only places we went to was near the market, Poogan's Porch, and the graveyard at St Philip's Church. The graveyard is pretty spooky I'll admit, but I had hoped to see more. The tour meets at 40 N Market and I was happy to walk near the market/East Bay area as I hadn't spent much time there while in Charleston but there just didn't seem to be much substance to this.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

The old jail was quite interesting, and once it is restored, it should be well worth a visit. The Haunted Jail Tour was hot and the stories fell rather flat. Some interesting stuff for sure, but "haunted" not! I think $18 would be better spent on almost anything else in town.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Went on the tour last night with Jameson...COMPLETELY SATISFIED with his charm & ability to keep us entertained! Excellent tour guide!!! Give him a raise!

1  Thank GiJane532