“Made our day!”

Neighborhood: Upper Concord Street
New York City, New York
“Made our day!”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We drove to Charleston from New York City for our first vacation in 17 years. Although we arrived in Charleston around midnight we were elated. Alas, that feeling didn't last long when everything went wrong at our hotel culminating in our having to evacuate it in the middle of the night because of a fire alarm. Try getting a hotel in Charleston on the same day for an entire family.

By chance, while walking, or rather stumbling around downtown Charleston, exhausted, cranky and starving (we hadn't eaten or slept in well over 36 hours), we came across Tabbuli and were drawn in because as vegetarians we saw many options. When our greeter casually said, "How are you?" I responded, "You don't really want to know." He replied, "I do," and sounded quite sincere. So I told him. We were ushered in, treated like royalty and ate some of the best humous we'd ever had. Indeed everything we ate from the Greek salad to the falafel was excellent. But best of all was the incredibly warm, kind and friendly staff. Our waitress, who just recently moved to Charleston, was a delight. Our mood was uplifted, including that of our 14-year-old son's, and our attitude about Charleston much improved for the better. Before leaving Charleston, we may return to Tabbuli.

• Visited July 2014

“Amazing Food - Terrible Service”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Let me start by saying the food here is great. I grew up in the Middle East (in Qatar) and the food at Tabbuli is exactly what I would expect to find downtown in the Souq in Qatar. However, I've been there twice, and both times the service was absolutely terrible. My wife and I went most recently on a slow afternoon, were seated, and then ignored for about 20 minutes before I asked someone to serve us. The worst part is, all the outside servers, the bartender, and even a manager were all outside, standing around the bar, talking, dancing, and not doing their jobs. After I let them know that we were sitting there without service, they just said, "sorry" and then served us. I worked in the restaurant business for roughly 5 years, and if we had forgotten to serve someone that long they would have eaten for free! They did nothing for us, and then asked us to rate them on tripadvisor! So here I am. Great food. Terrible service.

• Visited June 2014
“This place was a blast!”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This place was a blast! Great food, wonderful atmosphere, amazing service! Taboo Tuesdays are the best!

• Visited July 2014
New York City, New York
“From Charleston to Mediterranean in one step”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Talk about feeling like you're on vacation...while you're on vacation! This was one of the few stops I made on nice relaxing day of touring the area's good spots to have a drink. While I did not eat here, the service was still very attentive and made sure my table was taken care of. The real selling point is the ambiance. The place is gorgeous. You are outside for the most part, and the place has plenty of tropical plants, and a very nice rock/water formation smack in the middle of the main seating area. The best part was you didn't feel how hot it was outside compared to other places. Great spot!

Visited June 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“A favorite Sunday brunch spot”
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

This is one of our favorite spots for Sunday brunchlove their bottomless mimosas. They have great appetizers food and a great atmosphere!

Visited May 2014