“Great restaurant, great on the wallet!”
Review of Smoky Oak Taproom

Smoky Oak Taproom
Ranked #161 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 24, 2014

I was a little nervous at first when the waitress was not welcoming at all, however, this proved to be a great choice! We went on a Sunday and the kids ate for free! The food was wonderful and we all left feeling very full! I would definitely go back to eat here if I ever get back to Charleston! Overall it seemed that all the restaurants we ate at were very well priced for such a popular tourist area! Definitely check this place out!

Reviewed August 21, 2014

The Smoky Oak is one of the top three BBQ places I have every been to. I had the 1/2 rack ribs and pulled pork combo on my first visit and really enjoyed it! The Ribs were juicy and cooked perfectly so that they just came right off the bone. The pulled pork was also perfectly cooked and extremely tasty! Both meats were delicious to eat on their own, but also were amazing with the Chef's Red BBQ Sauce which is made right there. If you plan on visiting the Charleston area and are looking for a good BBQ place this is definitely the place to visit, you will not regret the decision!

1  Thank Lee1992
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had the smoked pulled pork nachos, tacos and a hamburger with side of mac & cheese and fries. All were mediocre except the mac & cheese which was inedible.

I had the smoke tacos and had upset gastrointestinal distress all night long which was very unpleasant. We were directed away from the seating of our choice as it was deemed "VIP" for some reason. The wood benches and tables in the other outdoor area were mostly in direct sun.

Not the most impressive evening. Perhaps we got an off-night...

Reviewed August 10, 2014

We always make sure to visit Smoky Oak when we visit Charleston. The pulled pork and chicken are amazing and the Carolina bbq sauce is fantastic. Very reasonable prices.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My wife and I received a recommendation from a long time friend to try a couple places while traveling between downtown Charleston and Folly Beach. On the way back from the Angel Oak Tree we decided we might as well. Man am I glad I took him up on his recommendation.

My wife and I shared the half rack of ribs and brisket. The ribs were so good I didn't even use the BBQ sauce. This meat melted in your mouth. Wonderful smoked flavor. My wife isn't a huge fan of ribs, which left me the majority. We had some good drinks, good service, and a nice early evening on the patio.

Our daughter often shares meals with us, and rarely eats meat unless her taste buds get the best of the best (i.e. downtown Nashville, etc.). She ate up the brisket. The fried okra was just ok, but very similar to most BBQ joints we've been too. This is a great place and it hit the spot.

The set up is pretty cool as well. It has a family option, but is also a bar environment. If your not there too late, or if you sit on the patio its pretty family friendly. Sports TV's, nice bar, and good specials. Fly's attacked us quite a bit outside, but thats the chance you take eating outside with such great food.