“Unsatisfactory Visit”

Smoky Oak Taproom
Ranked #185 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charleston, South Carolina
“Unsatisfactory Visit”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is my third visit to Smoky Oak. The first two visits were fine. However, on this visit three of us arrived very early in the evening - around 5:15 for dinner. The restaurant was mostly empty, which was nice because it tends to get very loud when crowded. My companions ordered mussels and a cuban sandwich, and I got a small pizza. The mussels and sandwich came out on time and the waitress advised that my pizza would be out shortly. Ten minutes later we went to ask the waitress again about the pizza. She apologized and we said how the first two dishes shouldn't have arrived so much earlier than the third - my companions had finished almost half their dinner and mine hadn't even come yet. Again she apologized and said it would be "just another minute". It did arrive a couple of minutes later, but it was just a ridiculous situation. The kitchen should have a better command of their food timing. And the restaurant was mostly empty - doubly difficult to believe they had such trouble. How do they manage it when the restaurant is full? Normally anytime a guest has a problem, the waitress involves a manager. No one arrived at the table to ask how our meal was besides the waitress. We didn't see a manager. I might have ordered dessert, but I was annoyed at the attitude of indifference. The bill came at full price, nothing adjusted for our complaint. Honestly, there are other good sandwich/pizza places on James Island that can compete quite nicely with Smoky Oak. I think I'll be patronizing them in future. This was definitely not a satisfactory visit.

• Visited June 2013

“Great food, great service but most of all...GREAT BEER!!!”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We went in for a casual lunch with a friend who highly recommended it. As soon as I sat down, I noticed they had Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA on tap, one of my favorites. I ordered it without hesitation because surely they wouldn't have anything better than that. WRONG!!! I was almost pissed when I realized they had Sweetwater Dank Tank on tap...I can't even find a bottle in all of Huntsville!!! I voiced my displeasure to my friends and was overheard by one of the managers, who came over and talked to us for quite awhile about the restaurant, their relationships with Sweetwater as well as other beer distributors in the area, and about his favorite beers. Our food arrived and it was dynamite! I highly recommend the sampler, which was more than enough food for three of us and every bit of it was fantastic! To top it off, the manager brought us out a couple of samples of a "one tank" beer created by some local breweries. Can't wait to go back!!! Thanks for such a wonderful experience!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank ConnorsSteakSeafood
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
“Great place, casual atmosphere, excellent food”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a terrific dinner at the Smokey Oak. Sat outside on the covered patio, there were 8 of us and everyone tried something different. The sampler was delicious, and a good way to sample the house barbque specialties, all of which were delicious. Good selection of beers as well. The place is very casual. Also good/friendly service. We will be going back the next time we visit.

• Visited April 2013
Colonia, New Jersey
“Decent BBQ”
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Wanted something different while in town. Definitely a locals place. We were seated right away. Great tap beer menu and the beer was ice cold. Ordered the sampler appetizer. The onion rings were large and good the mushrooms were greasy the wings were tender and juicy and the skins were also good. We had ribs, dry, needed lots of sauce to make them edible, pulled chicken sandwich also dry and sliced not pulled, the saving grace was the pulled pork tacos.

• Visited May 2013
Columbus, OH
“Awesome BBQ in a bar atmosphere”
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

The bar is typical; nothing fancy. It's in a strip mall and has some picnic tables out back. The BBQ is fabulous. The ribs fall off the bone and the pulled pork is excellent. I also had the dirty rice. It was made with chunks if sausage and it had a bit of a kick. I'd go back in a heart beat. The sampler platter is huge. Three people in my party split it, they were stuffed and didn't eat it all.

• Visited April 2013