“A fishing trip with Captain Mike Illig is a MUST for any avid angler visiting Charleston, SC!”

More attraction details
Owner description: Incredible Fishing! Avid Angling Fishing Charters offers Inshore, Nearshore and Fly Fishing Charters to the Charleston, SC Coastal area. Catch Huge redfish, sharks, trout, flounder, amberjacks, cobia, grouper and many more! Trips depart daily and we offer flexible fishing for all levels of anglers and ages. Your Adventures depart from Downtown Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, Isle of Palms, Folly Beach, and Kiawah Island. Backwater/backcountry charters also available if you want to explore areas away from the city. Either way, come along a fishing charter and see what you can catch! If fishing is not your thing we offer sunset cruises and eco tours, including secret spots that most folks don't often get to experience!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Capt. Mike was super to work with from my first phone call! Communication was great throughout the planning process. When I had last minute plan changes, he was on the phone with me after 11:30pm the night before we were to go out making sure loose ends were tied up. Once on the water, he took care of every little detail from re-rigging rods, to baiting hooks, to making sure I always had a baited rod in my hand. The fish were sluggish at first, but that didn't stop Capt. Illig. He moved us around to various locations until we found several hungry shark, sea bass, and other species. A marine biologist, Capt. Mike's knowledge of tides, wind management, and the Charleston Bay area was the obvious difference in a successful fishing trip and an expensive boat ride!

He coordinated a battery of as many as 5 lines in the water at once, using a variety of bait until we found just the right one. His attention to detail and organizational skills rivaled those of a veteran brain surgeon performing surgery.

Aside from being a great fishing guide, Capt. Mike is just a great guy and absolutely one of the nicest and most decent human beings on the planet! He was not afraid to move short or long distances to find fish and minimize negative effects of wind and tides.

The atmosphere of the trip was as relaxing as the waves against the boat! It was as laid back as you could get! Perfect for vacation! Capt. Mike provided plenty of ice cold drinks, and even showed me how to fillet a shark, after we docked. He also told me how to prepare and cook it to perfection! I really didn't have to lift a finger on this trip. Everything was rigged up and worked great from the second we shoved off til the time we docked. Mike offered tips on "how-to" the entire trip, and was even able to provide some music on the boat radio to add a touch of atmosphere to the setting.

I could have paid more for a fancy boat ride, but I couldn't have had more fun catching fish or fished with a nicer guy! As soon as I get a chance, I will be back!

4  Thank Medicineman7
CharlestonFishing, Owner at Avid Angling Fishing Charters, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2016

Thank you so much for the review! I still remember that trip!

Charleston, South Carolina

in 15 reviews
"cast"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Cap'n Mike is a genial dude, and he knows his stuff. I took my two kids (ages 8 and 6) and he tailored a trip just for us. With little kids, it's not about the size of the fish, it's about the experience (and CATCHING LOTS OF FISH!). We started out casting nets for bait, and the boys were fascinated by the shrimp, mullet, pinfish and squid that we caught. Then it was out to Cap'n Mike's "secret" fishing hole. The boys caught tons of fish and finished off that part of the session with a 4 foot Atlantic Shark. Mike is a naturalist, so he taught us a ton about the different fish, their habitats and habits, and odd quirks (like how to put a shark to sleep...turn him over on his back!)

We then hit the bridge and caught another ton of sea bass, lady fish, and other stuff. It was an action packed day, and Cap'n Mike was totally the best. I can recommend Avid Angling with the highest confidence. Plan on a great day.

4  Thank LobstaJohnson
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I've been fishing with Capt. Mike a couple times, and he flat puts us on the fish. His knowledge of the ecosystem, fish habits, and technique are unrivaled in the low country. Oh, and he likes good music too.

2  Thank OutdoorsBlogger

Thank you for the great review! We have to get up again if you're ever back in town.

Cheers!
Charleston, SC

Reviewed April 18, 2011

I booked Mike for two days for nearshore fly fishing. He met us closer to our hotel/condo to help us out as didn't have rental car. As have booked a decent amount of guides I know that Mike is in the top tier of his profession. He put us on top of fish consistently, polled the boat correctly to help with the strong winds and we were able to cast to them all day! First hookup was a 31" red and fought for a good ten minutes. As to Mike's love for fishing you can tell he gets just as excited as you do when you hook up to a red, which makes the experience that much better. Mike is a very knowledgable angler and is just a fun guide so I would highly reccomend him if looking for a good day of fly fishing on the water.

1  Thank FlyFisher4Life

31" redfish on a fly rod! I still remember that beauty. That is a solid fish!!! I hope everything is going great out on the west coast.

Take Care,