“Fun and Fact Filled”

Charleston Footprints Walking Tours
Ranked #1 of 224 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Enchanting historic Charleston comes alive on entertaining and informative walking tours with 7th-generation Charleston native Michael Trouche. Discover stunning architecture, glorious gardens, Civil and Revolutionary War sites, cobblestone streets, wrought iron gates, legendary graveyards, and the local flavor of the fabled “Holy City” that no one knows better than Michael, who grew up in the famous "South of Broad" area, and has written two popular books on Charleston, where his family has lived for more than 215 years. Michael won numerous prestigious awards as host of the acclaimed "Carolina Camera" television program for 20 years on the local Charleston CBS affiliate, and has charmed tour guests for 10 years with his unparalleled knowledge of South Carolina's history, culture, plants and animals, as well as colorful insights, locations and anecdotes that only a lifelong Charleston native would truly know.
Timonium, Maryland
“Fun and Fact Filled”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Michael Trouche did a wonderful job taking us on one of his tours throughout the city. He has a ton of knowledge and keeps things interesting. You could have walked by something several times before and he points out what was right there and you missed it. I think he is a 4th generation Charlestonian so it doen't get much better than Michael.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Bet you didn't know”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

And if you want to know, you simply have to take the tour yourself! My husband and I enjoyed the tour with Michael Trouche very much. His knowledge, often first hand, of the history, lore, and his willingness to share his personal experiences added so much color and texture to the walk through lovely Charleston! Michael is such a font of knowledge on all things Charleston, that even scavenger hunting teams who came upon us during the tour were able to check a several things off their lists with his helpful information. He even offered some great suggestions for lunch afterwards. Michel is a very engaging speaker - probably due to his experiences in the theater - you will wonder where all the time went. Very well done.

Pennsylvania
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Great tour to learn about the city”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was a great tour with Michael. He was very knowledgable and entertaining. He knew so much about Charleston and we met at the Historic Charleston Foundation Gift Shop which was a great place to shop. It started raining heavily while we were walking and Michael quickly took us into City Hall which was not a scheduled stop on the trip. But it was great. The inside of City Hall was beautiful and very historic. the rain did not last long so we were able to head back outside. We also got to go into the Dock Street theater which was nice. Overall a great tour, learned a lot and would highly recommend Michael. Super walking tour!!

Marietta, Georgia
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A special experience”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Michael Trouche was fantastic! We had a group of 16 and over the 2 hours he kept us captivated with personal stories of his memories of growing up in Charleston immersed with the incredible history of this great city! He took time to make everyone feel welcome and included personal touches throughout the walk for children and adults alike! However, Warning for older couples: The walk is a good exercise as he moves everyone at a fast pace to make sure we see many of the highlights of this city. The knowledge he shares and his excitement as he wants each visitor to hear all that is Charleston. My wife and I were so impressed by the tour we bought his book in the Historical Society Shop after the tour. Thank you Michael for sharing the history of Charleston with us!

West Chester, Ohio
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Highly Recommended Tour!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I was on a business trip to Charleston and I wanted to do a quick tour and learn as much as I could on a free afternoon. After extensive research and looking through reviews, I knew I had to do this one. I was not disappointed one bit! Michael has so much inside knowledge of the city and was able to share fascinating stories as well as "hidden" spots that most tours don't cover. The walking was easy and there were plenty of stops along the way. I never had issues hearing what he said either and he was open to answering questions. Definitely a must when you visit Charleston! I've recommend it to my other co-workers who are visiting the city. Please add this to your list if you want the most bang for your buck!

Visited September 2012