“shell bound”

Adventure Harbor Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Family fun for everyone! We offer 3 hour shell and sharks tooth hunting & history trips out to beautiful and secluded Morris Island, as well as romantic sunset and dolphin cruises. Science and eco tours for kids, and school groups that meet or exceed SC school standards as well. Definitely kid and pet friendly, too. Our vessels are perfectly suited for private charters, bachelorette and bachelor parties, anniversaries and birthday parties, any kind of get together you can think of, up to 80 passengers. Come on out and see us!
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was a high light of our trip, lots of shells, shark teeth, one of the best things was getting to see the dolphins at play. Captian Howard & his wonderful assistance (she is great will help point out great stuff on Morris Island) has a wealth of information of almost everything on this adventure. Just leave a message and he will return the call!

1  Thank DBeal
in 39 reviews
"great captain"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

This is the second year we have taken this tour and its gets better and better. The captain is very knowledgeable of the area and it's history, and it's obvious he loves what he is doing. He goes out of his way to make you feel comfortable and the island is beautiful. Saw lots of dolphins playing. Great area for prehistoric sharkteeth and lg unbroken shells. Will absolutely go again. Take sunscreen!!

1  Thank CharlieBrown0
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is a awesome tour had a great day. Found lots of shark teeth and lots of cool looking shells. We seen maybe 10 - 15 dolphins playing around fort sumter and around the big party at Morris island. Captain howard told us all kinds of good history about fort sumter and walked around the island with us and helped us find shark teeth and even found my wife a sand dollar and she was very happy for that. This tour is great and well worth the $50 for the 3 hours you get. thanks Again for a great day.

1  Thank browndawg32
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We've joined Capt Howie on the 26th July. A trip for kids and adults to remember for long! It included plenty of dolphins, information about Ft Sumter, lots of shark teeth, crabs, mussels and just nature! The atmosphere was funny, so everyone enjoyed. We wish you lots of visitors in the future Howie, it's worth every minute!

1  Thank Michael R
See more reviews
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I was in Charleston for a long weekend with my two teenagers. My daughter is an avid shell collector, so I thought this might be something we could do that would interest her. We had a hot, August day, and since low tide was going to be in mid-afternoon, our tour was scheduled to leave around 2pm (and did I mention it was hot?). There was about 10 of us on the trip, and our ride out to Morris Island was a little rough - not bad, but we did get sprayed now and again. Normally they stop and look for dolphins on the way out, but but Howard thought it would be less rough on the way back so we opted to do the dolphin watch after going to the island. The trip to Morris isn't very long - 20 minutes? - and you go right by Ft Sumter which is really cool.

They drive the boat right up on the beach on Morris Island, but you need to be prepared to jump off the bow and the feet might get wet too. No problem for the teenagers, but I don't move as easily as I used to so I was a little worried but it was no problem. Brittany was already on the island with the group that was getting ready to leave so she just got started with us right away. We started heading down one side of the island, and a little ways down we stopped and she gave us a lesson on how to find shark's teeth. We found one right away which was exciting and then everyone was on the hunt. Brittany does an awesome job of helping everyone find a tooth, so no one goes home empty handed. My kids and I ended up collecting maybe 15? so we were happy. We walked all the way down to a rocky area which took close to 45 minutes. We then turned around and started back. We were hoping to find sand dollars too, but up until that point had only found chunks of broken ones. Partway back a whole sand dollar was discovered which was exciting - I think we were the only ones on the trip that ended up with one.

When we were about 5 minutes away from the boat the wind all of a sudden changed direction and the temperature dropped noticeably (which was appreciated since it was so hot!). We all turned around and saw behind us out on the water a large storm - and you could see even from a distance that heavy rainfall was occurring. At that point Howard and Brittany starting very calmly gathering everyone up and getting us on the boat. You knew that maybe this storm was an issue, but they were very calm and no one was panicking so everyone was cooperating really well (and remember the jump off the boat? Well, let's just say it's a big step back on, but Howard bent down and let me step on his bended knee so it wasn't such a challenge for me.) Howard got the boat out of there quickly, but we were all noticing that all the nearby private boaters were all speeding out of there at the same time. Remarkably there were dolphins jumping up in the air like at Sea World all around the boats that were leaving - it really was something to watch. But Howard had the boat going as fast as possible to the harbor, which was a challenge given the much higher waves than before. We were all getting soaked from the spray as we pounded through the waves, but everyone had a great attitude and Howard and Brittany kept things going (of course there was some talk about needing to play the Deadliest Catch theme song!). But before you knew it the storm was on us and it was just pouring! Of course the rain let up when we arrived back at the dock. Howard explained that what we just experienced was known as a micro-burst and that it does happen periodically in that area. Because we had to cut our visit a little short, never got to look for dolphins, and had to endure the waves and the rain, he took $20 off everyone's ticket price which was very reasonable and a nice surprise (especially considering the weather issues were completely out of his control).

We took this tour because of the high ratings, and despite everything we had to deal with on this trip, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Howard and Brittany were so friendly, so professional, making sure everyone felt welcome and enjoyed the trip, there could not be a better experience to be had in Charleston or anywhere on the Atlantic coast. You are crazy not to pick up the phone right now and book your tour. What are you waiting for? Do it! You won't regret a single minute.

4  Thank worleybird98
dualshowman007, Owner at Adventure Harbor Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Oh yes...I remember this day. We were almost through with the beach portion of the trip when I noticed the spot on the weather channel. Needless to say we made a mad dash for the marina, but the storm caught us. Soaking wet and through some high waves, but we made it through like champs and no one needed showers that night. My crew and guests handled this wonderfully, we even saw an almost capsize on the way back in, luckily no one was hurt, and all ended well.
Like the name says, it is ADVENTURE harbor tours.
Thanks for the kind words, and I'd agree with everything written here. Come back and see me when there's no weather in the area and let us make it up to you!
H