“Something for everyone”

Ranked #38 of 971 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Breakfast All Day, Lunch + Diner, Open Til 4am Fri + Sat, Locally Owned, Everything Made From Scratch - Biscuits, Ice Cream, Pancakes + Pasta
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We went to The Early Bird Diner for dinner on a recent visit to Charleston. As a family we have a hard time finding a restaurant that makes everyone happy because my daughter ( 10) has limited likes ( chicken or beef hotdog), none of us eats shellfish or pork and my son and I only eat fish ( no chicken or meat). It can be exhausting, especially in a shellfish heavy place like Charleston. Something everyone can agree on is breakfast!
My daughter had the fried chicken( naturally), my son had all you can eat pancakes $5, they were huge. I had a delicious omelet with caramelized onions, grits and a biscuit, plus I tried my daughter's side of fried green tomatoes, and my husband had a basic breakfast-eggs, toast etc.
It was a great, casual meal with a menu that offered something for everyone. The waitress was attentive, what more can you ask for?

Write a ReviewReviews (1,027)

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We stopped by because of the DDD review on the Food Channel. The waffles and chicken are a good choice, but could be divided for a light lunch. Cleanliness was not the best....it was near closing time in the afternoon and the staff seemed tired.

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I haven't been to EBD since May '12, foursquare tells me, and their shrimp and grits still taste amazing more than a year later. It's their own twist of sweet and spicy jelly that makes me say their version of the dish is the best I've ever had. I'm a biscuit person myself, but your other option with this menu item is toast.

I can't describe this place better than saying it just has a divinely homey atmosphere, one that I want to return to. Most often, I find myself doing so on a Friday or Saturday after work when fortunately they're still open late (despite being up early), and I haven't had a break at all. But I would much rather sit and relax after work with their out of this world comfort food, prepared with peace and love, than scarf down something from my job in less than 15 minutes.

Their sign out front more often than not contains a diner inspired variation of a popular song's title or lyrics (gravy train, hit me bacon one more time, lord I was born a scramblin' man). You never know what sounds you'll hear coming from behind the counter, but in my experiences, it's always been something groovy. One of my favorite tunes I still remember from my visit way back when was "Ghostbusters theme." PS: there is homegrown music for sale next to their assortment of books and games.

Dessert this 6th night of December was chocolate pecan banana bread drizzled with honey. If you see it on the chalk board, go for it. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but I loved this just the same.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Had breakfast here with a friend from the area on Friday and I must say it was nothing special. The "mess" appeared to be green ... Not sure what was going on with that. And the coffee about like Micky D's. I am told they wait in line on the weekend. I sure would not.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

A gourmand's mecca. A hipster diner with avante-guard menu without the hipster attitude. Killer, killer food!