“Exemplary accommodations & hospitality”
Review of The Restoration

The Restoration
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed three nights at the Restoration on King, a boutique hotel, January 12-14. Originally the Restoration was to be 15 condominiums coming online in late 2008. Not selling, they were turned into an exemplary boutique hotel, with great ambience, quality furnishings, and a caring, knowledgeable, and attentive staff.

One could not ask for more: the hotel is centrally and conveniently located. There are refreshments before and after dinner each day. Like a good restaurant, the staff completed the mosaic of hospitality. Inns and B&Bs would do well to emulate this caring, quality service. Being owners of a small B&B and staying at B&Bs and boutique hotels during the last 40 years, we were so very pleased: this is how it should happen!

In fact, the salient and enduring memory of The Restoration on King is the staff. Howard, the manager, checked to see about our accommodations. Gail and Erick manned the desk; Mark, Marc, and Darren helped with valet and luggage. Pat brought breakfast to the door each morning. Lashondra, Carrie, and Sarah performed room care and turn-down. Amazingly, everyone was a font of credible, in-depth, and knowledgeable information about all aspects of Charleston, significantly increasing our enjoyment of our first visit to Charleston. Suffice it to say, we will stay at the Restoration on King on our inevitable next visit.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed here for one night. While checking in there was fresh brewed tea in the lobby, very nice! Check in was simple and the bellhop was great! He showed us around the hotel and our room which was located on the second floor. The room setup was fantastic. The only negative comment is that we stayed just above the Lucky Brand store. I noticed very loud music and I wanted to know where it was coming from, so I did a little investigating. I found that that music I was hearing was from Lucky. If you are trying to take a nap and you are in one of these rooms, forget it! Why does Lucky need to blare music anyway? Do they think they will sell more clothes? Anyway, I think that is something The Restoration and Lucky need to work out. The Restoration was very clean, nice appliances, comfortable bed, and good service. If you are going to stay here, ask for a room away from the Lucky store or on the third floor if possible.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NYCtraveler0072010
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Our stay at Restoration on King is one of the best we have ever enjoyed. The room was spacious, with a very large great room and kitchen area, opening to a private balcony. The decor was fresh, modern, and open. The great room had a large flat screen TV, and there were iPod docking stations in each room. The staff was exceptional, with a 24 hour desk and complimentary breakfast in the room. The location is perfect, allowing us to enjoy shopping and complimentary use of a nearby gym.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My title says it all for overall not for some little cons. We arrived at ROK about 11:45pm 12/16 after encountering travel problems down from the east coast. A travel exp. that was supposed to be abt 13 hours ended up being about 20. Our taxt driver was very surprised but excited there was a hotel in the building. Our first encounter was with a young man behind the desk who didn't smile, said no welcoming words but did reprimand us for checking in so late. NOT GOOD! Especially since they have a 72HOUR cancelation policy. It was as if we disturbed him from what at 11:45pm, staring at a computer screen? We were told abt none of the ins and out he did walk us to the elevator but everything was TOO CURT for my taste. This put me off until we arrived in the room. My niece an 11y/o mouth dropped open. This is not an easy feat to get an 11y/o to do. She was mersmized. I almost hate calling it a room it was a beautiful, new trendy 1bedroom condo with kitchen and amazing bathroom. Pics don't do it justic even though this was one of the reasons I chose ROK. No overly flowery 1970's look here. Everything was top of the line a large bed, robes, nightly candt treats, daily waether cards, notes with thank you for staying, etc. The bedroom was the size of whole rooms one has at other hotels. The bathroom with a large walk in shower, alcoved toilet, folded towel designs, great toiletries, the kitchen was amazing, One of the best designed kitchen, large frige, every thing you would need if you really intended to cook. The living room area with its own TV and comfy sofa which my niece opted to sleep on.Countless closets even for the one bedroom setup.
Due to the suly check-in we didn't understand or told that breakfast was delivered every day to your room included in the room price. Ingenious idea. I could have stayed a month. Still being unsettled by the front desk person who checked us in, I determined (which we usually do anyway) not to bother with the front desk. This was a mistake as we learned. One day coming back after sightseeing we learned they have an hour or so of cheese and goodies. The server saw us first and was so frindly and welcoming. Other good examples strong customer service we had to stay another day, I called down no prob. One morn. they didn't have the chocolate crossiant and they called with a big apologize. I know there are ppl. who complain abt stuff like this we are not those ppl. This si why I Expect friendly service. On check out the man who I think was the manager was so welcoming and we were leaving it made me know the first person I dealt with had to be anomaly. Weeks before we had great customer service on resrving by Jovanna( I hope this is how her named is spelled. From the cleaning ppl who were so pleasant with little tips I knew we had made the right decision to stay at ROK. Just want to say at ROK's prices being small and all there shouldn't be a curfew. I have stayed at hostels traveling as a young woman and never had a "curfew". Doing the research on TA, we knew we wanted to stay here. From many of the photos on TA the flowery decor of many places in Charleston was not what we wanted. THis fit perfectly. So my two cons, strange, unfriendly check in( everyone knew there were travel delays all over. We were not running the streets of charleston w/luggage so be we check in late. If, one is paying these kind od prices curfews and unwelcoming behavior is a true no, no. Thank you you are a gem of a place.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank faithzp
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in December after much research into Charleston hotels. Since my family and I do not like older historic hotels, nor Beds & Breakfasts, we decided on this hotel after reading the reviews and looking at the pictures from other travelers. We could not have been any happier!

We stayed in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit and it came with every convenience that an upscale apartment would have. Even though everything was modern and updated, it still maintained the charm of the original building. This is a great place to stay with families, or even friends! They even have a DVD player, as well as a washer and dryer in the room.

The room rate also came with a continental breakfast. Each evening, you would leave your order on the door and every morning they would deliver it to you at the time you specified. I thought this was a really great personal touch! They don't have room service, but they will pick up your take-out order from a few restaurants in the area and deliver it to your room. Again, I loved the personal touch and thoughtfulness at this hotel.

My only complaint would be that the walls are thin. You can hear what is happening at night outside. One night, there was a party going on across the hall and it felt like it was happening in our room. However, once we complained, the staff immediately took care of it. I felt like they could have added some extra sound insulation in the rooms.

I highly recommend this hotel. It's definitely worth it in terms of location, cleanliness, convenience, and comfort. In addition, the people who work there really go out of their way to help you, especially Gail. She was such a huge help and wonderful!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2011

When I am in Charleston, I have always stayed at The Charleston Place but this trip I decided to change things up and stay at Restoration on King...a new entry on the hotel scene in Charleston. I WILL ALWAYS STAY AT RESTORATION ON KING!! The "room" was a one bedroom, full kitchen, 1 1/2 bath luxury apartment! Location could not be any better - and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I will be back in Charleston in a couple of weeks, and once again, RESTORATION ON KING IS THE PLACE TO STAY!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2010

STAY HERE WHILE YOU CAN... Once word gets out about this place the rates will go up past $400/night. My fiance and I planned to be married in a private courtyard in Charleston last weekend with just a few family members and close friends. The weather was awful- and the Restoration was so amazingly nice- that we decided to hold the ceremony in our hotel room! The staff at the hotel was over-the-top accomodating, and by the time we checked out we wanted to move in as permanent residents. These hotel rooms are actually condos, larger and more luxurious than any other two-room suite we've ever seen. It was very quiet, especially for a historic building downtown. Recommended for business, vacation, and especially for a multi-room group.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple