“Too Short...My Own Fault”
Review of The Restoration

The Restoration
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I don't usually write reviews, but felt compelled due to my experience at the Restoration on King. My wife and I came down for a work/pleasure trip and planned on staying at the property for four nights. Unfortunately, when we arrived to check in, Eric at the front desk was unable to find my reservation. The reason? Somehow I booked the wrong week on-line - what a genius.

Eric could not have handled the situation any better - he told us to relax and that we'd get things figured out. He offered us some wine and chocolate and informed us that they could accommodate us for our first night, but that they were sold out for the next three. He assured us that he would find us other accommodations and to check in with Gail the next morning. After we checked in our room, we got a knock on the door and it was Eric with a complimentary bottle of champagne to help us take the edge off. Impressive.

The next morning Gail had already checked with Wentworth Mansion and had our reservation over there pretty much ready to go. So, it's with much sadness that we will be changing properties this afternoon.

Oh yeah, the rooms are awesome. They were built as high-end condos - we had a spacious one bedroom that was immaculately clean and nicely outfitted. I usually don't like "suites" with kitchenettes, but this is a whole different ballgame. In short, this is an awesome place with better service than many 5 star properties we've visited. If you're going to be in Charleston, and are looking for something a little different (modern vs. traditional) you owe it to yourself to check it out...

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JMW74Annapolis_MD

Reviewed November 8, 2010

My husband and I spent a week at the Restoration on King and were pampered the entire time. From the breakfast arriving in the suite in a picnic basket each morning (when You want it to come) to the delightful turn-down service at night, our stay was flawlessly perfect.
The rooms and public spaces are spotless and smell good. The wonderfully excellent service is consistently personal and cheerful. No request is too large or too small. There is sweet tea and fresh coffee out all the time in the lobby as well as wine, fruit and cheese in the afternoons.
The "room" is actually a complete apartment like a condo with every amenity you could want. Plenty of towels, huge shower with two adjustable heads, tons of hot water and drinks ( freebies) in the fridge! And altho my husband likes a soft bed and I prefer a much more supportive one, somehow the king-size bed in our bedroom managed to satisfy us both. How did they do that?
The best part is the staff who are always there for you, dedicated to making you the happiest you can be. No one could want more than that!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived, we felt completely comfortable and all the stress related to the wedding melted away. The rooms were much larger than I had expected. The appliances inside were new and beautiful. The rooms smelled heavenly and the wait staff was incredible. Everyone there was helpful and kind. The location was ideal as it was very close to some great restaurants (for me) and some incredible stores (for my wife). This is the most beautiful and most friendly place I've ever stayed. If the people from Restoration read this, thank you for a memorable and amazing honeymoon experience.

We will be returning to this hotel annually (if not more) based on the experience we had.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This hotel is absolute perfection. My new husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon, so we booked the romance package.

When we arrived, there were a dozen red roses, iced champagne, and nine beautiful hand painted chocolates from a local artisan chocolatier. The manager came to our room to introduce himself to us.

The room was gorgoeus. Hard wood floors, exposed brick, modern but plush furnishing. We had one and one half baths, a large closet, and the bedroom is separate from the living area. The living area was complete with every appliance you could need, plus a fully stocked kitchen. Super comfy king bed.

Their version of continental breakfast, hand delivered in a picnic basket and unpacked by staff, is delicious and personalized, because you order it the night before. You can find wine and cheese in the lobby in the afternoon, and milk and cookies there at night. The staff provides a turn down service with treats at night.

Service and staff was excellent, especially the Marcs and Eric. We had a wonderful stay and plan to return for every anniversary. The location too can't be beat.

• Stayed: November 2010
HLetts, General Manager at The Restoration, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2011

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King and again, Congradulations on your recent wedding!! We were so proud to be able to have you stay with us on such a special occassion. I am delighted that you enjoyed our Romance Package featuring so many of Charleston's local vendors. Throughout 201 formed new partnerships with local, as compared to national, partners to bring our guests a true taste of all that Charleston has to offer such as our new "RoK" House Blend Coffee with the Charleston Coffee Roasters, Our Turndown treats with the Charleston Nut Company, Sweet and Hot Tea from the Charleston Tea Plantation, Cookies from the Charleston Cookie Company and Christophs Chocolatier.

We lookk forward to the oppurtunity to serve you again when you next return to Charleston on your net Anniversary.

Reviewed November 1, 2010

This was our third trip to Charleston in as many years, and this was by far the best hotel experience we had there. These former condos have been outfitted with high-end furnishings and fixtures; consequently, the "suites" are roomy and well-appointed, and the staff couldn't be any nicer, more friendly, or more accommodating. When available, we typically like to stay in Four Seasons Hotels for their consistency of service and the standard of luxury, and this hotel was right on par with just a bit less formality. Perhaps most telling, there was a very minor mishap that was immediately rectified with a more than gracious response. I have never written a review on a site such as this one, but we had such a pleasant experience at this hotel that I felt compelled to seek out this site to write one. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. The Staff and I take great pride in offering a high level of service to all of our guests, but still a warm and comfortable setting giving them a "Home Away From Home" during their visit to our wonderful city of Charlston, SC.

We look forward to the oppurtunity to serve you again during your next visit to Charleston. Please contact me directly so that I may assist you with your reservation.

Reviewed October 30, 2010

This place is spetacular. Not only are the rooms totally differnent from a standard hotel, but the people who work here are the best I have encountered. I travel extensivlely for both business and pleasure and Restoration On King is one of my favorites. My wife and I were looking for a little get away and chose this place based on other trip advisor reviews. The rooms are actually apartment units which are beautifully appointed. Our unit (one bedroom King) was exceptionally clean. It overlooked the side street which although the view was limited, the room was very quiet and comfortable. Breakfast is brought in each morning and dinner can also be odered to the room from one of the local restaurants. We got to know all the people there fairly well as i needed to have a number of documents faxed etc as I was in the midst of a business deal....they could not have been more helpful. Everyone from the manager to the valet's went out of their way to make you feel at home. We also were invited to a cocktail party on the roof in which the hotel was trying to attract local business's to utilize the hotel. During the party they opened up various units in the building for viewing. All the units we saw were spetacular. The location is just off the retail strip (high end shops) and within walking distance of the market place and all you need to see. We normally like to try different places when visiting an area for the second time but not in Charleston..... this is the place. Restoration on King......don't change a thing.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. The Staff and I are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I can honestly say that we all enjoyed getting to know you and your wife during your stay. I am glad you enjoyed our Open House as we continue to get to know our Neighbors here in Downtown Historic Charleston. As you saw, we have so many different styles of One and Two Bedroom Suites and if you talk to the staff of the "RoK", you will see that we all seam to have different "favorite" suites becuase of all of their unique layouts.

Again, Thank you and we look forward to serving you again when you next return to Charleston.

Reviewed October 25, 2010

Excellent service from the minute we entered the front door.HIgh end boutique hotel without the high price. Beautiful suite with all the amenities of home; including a washer and dryer. Conveniently located. Can walk to all parts of the city. Loved the personal touches.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting Historic Charleston. The Restoration on King was originally designed to be luxury condominium and has now become a small and very unique luxury boutique hotel.

We look forward to your next return to Charleston and staying with us at The Restoraton on King.