“A transformational hotel experience”
Review of The Restoration

The Restoration
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 10, 2010

My first visit to Charleston, SC, will not be my last, thanks to the Restoration Hotel. Even though I loved the city, the food, the shopping, the architecture, the parks, the shore views, all this never would have left such a positive impression had it not been for this spectacular hotel experience. This small boutique brand new hotel that consists of living suites (bedroom, living room, kitchen, bath, personal laundry area with washer and dryer- all far nicer than my own house) was just al all around joy to the senses. The staff became my family - actually better than anyone in my family has treated me!! I was able to escape from the office to a blissful environment, while having the ability to work (my boss never lets me totally escape) in a spacious work area with free high-speed Internet service, as well as printing services accomplished by simply emailing the concierge the documents that needed printing. Everything from the wine and cheese on the rooftop to cookies and coffee and sweet tea in the front reception area just conspired to make the stay truly glorious. I must go back.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
HLetts, General Manager at The Restoration, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2010

Thank You very much for your kind review of The Restoration on King, Charleston's Newest Boutique Hotel. I am so happy that you enjoyed our apartment/condo style Suites and all of the amenties included with them. With only 15 rooms, my staff and I have had the pleasure to make many new friends since first opening in April and continue to look forward to all of their returns.

It was truly our pleasure to have you stay with us during your visit to Charleston and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Restoration

Reviewed May 9, 2010

Having been on our radar for some time, Charleston finally hit the top of our travel list. We did extensive research prior to setting aside time, and determined that "the place to stay" there would have to be in the King Street area, within walking distance of almost everything we wanted to experience.
We decided to drive from NJ, taking two days to do so leisurely (stopping at The Jefferson Hotel in Richmond - which was superb). When we arrived at what we thought would be a comparable first-rate classic hotel, we found it to be very disappointing, run-down and in a not-so-nice neighborhood. What to do? I reviewed a recent Charleston magazine and made note on a new property called The Restoration on King. It was a modern, small, boutique suite hotel, right in the heart of the right neighborhood and only about four blocks from the one we did not like.
Off we went the next morning to take a look - and WOW, were we surprised and delighted! The Restoration on King was everything we expected and so much more. Physically, it is indeed a boutique hotel - small, extremely comfortable and modern (having been open for only about one month prior to our arrival). We were greeted with happiness and enthusiasm by smart, well-spoken, impeccably proper staff and the manager. Entry furnishing was comfortable, accommodating and very stylish. We were shown a room so that we could decide if we wished to stay there (and lucky we were that they had a vacancy). The "room" was an entire apartment: fully equipped (full frig, microwave, stove and everything else) luxury kitchen, gorgeous hardwood floors, living room with great furnishings (and a large, LCD TV with all cable channels), kitchen/living area island, great lighting, big windows, and UPSTAIRS (actually up only about for steps, at entry level) were the bedroom (again with a large flat-panel TV) and full, gorgeous bath, huge closets AND A luxury WASHER AND DRIER! By the way, both TVs had direct iPod hookups and remotes - so bring movies on your Pod! The architect that designed this property made superb use of the original brick to create a stylish loft apartment that anyone would be proud to own, let alone occupy as a base of vacation operations.
There are also multi-bedroom/bath suites available that are just as amazing.
The staff was as good as I have ever seen - and we travel all over the world and stay at luxury properties. They can arrange just about anything you want: have groceries delivered from one of the best boutique markets I have seen, have dinners catered in your suite if you wish, restaurant reservations (and OH, are there GREAT restaurants in Charleston!) just about anything. In nice weather, there is a wonderful roof deck with a view of the city; there are cookies and milk in the evening in the lobby; wine and cheese; always iced tea. The Concierge knows Charleston better than a native. There is free WiFi accessible throughout the property. Breakfast is delivered to your room with great style. Athletic facility access is available across the street.
The Restoration on King is truly a luxury home-away-from-home, with all the services of a fine hotel and none of the hassles. I cannot quite find the words to do justice to this wonderful establishment. They made our vacation a gem in a gem of a city. I rate them 11 (out of 10).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
HLetts, General Manager at The Restoration, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2010

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King, Charleston's newest and most unique Luxury Boutique Hotel. I am sorry that your first hotel did not work out but we are delieghted that you found The Restoration on King nestled in the heart of Charleston in the middle of Kings Street. I will let my staff know how much you enjoyed your stay. You also made a big impression on all of us and I know how much my staff enjoyed having you stay at The Restoration on King. I am glad you enjoyed our wonderful condo/apartment style rooms and all of our amenities. We look forward to seeing you again soon when you next return to our beautiful city of Charleston, SC.

Reviewed May 4, 2010

An old building restored with the hope of being a condo becomes a great hotel in Charleston. Elegantly furnished one bedroom suite with one and a half baths was perfect for my husband and me. Breakfast was included and promptly delivered in a picnic basket; the fully equipped kitchen provided the utensils, plates and cups. There are two flat screen tvs with an IPod dock too. More than all the comforts of home. A wonderful weekend place with helpful staff and lots of nice perks -- milk and cookies at 8, anyone?

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
HLetts, General Manager at The Restoration, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. I am so happy that you enjoyed many of the hotels new amenities such as our IHome clock radios and IPod, ITouch and IPhone docking stations which allow our guests to see video and listen to music directly from their Flat Screen TV's. My staff and I truly enjoyed the pleasure of serving you and we hope we will see you again soon upon your next visit to Charleston, SC. We will have our freshly baked cookies and milk ready upon your return.

Reviewed May 1, 2010

My partner and I had an Amazing stay at Restoration on King. The accommodations were
incredible. The space was immense. We had a huge patio that overlooked Wentworth. Perfect for the types that want to feel like they Live in the city of Charleston. Next time we'll plan a cocktail party there as it could easily accommodate 50 people. Would we stay there again?? YES, YES and YES.

Skot Bradford and Jason Preston

1  Thank luxuryalways
HLetts, General Manager at The Restoration, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2010

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. The staff and managment truly enjoyed the oppurtunity to serve you during your visit to Charleston and I am delighted that you enjoyed your Luxury One Bedroom Suite with a Balcony. We would be happy to help you plan a small cocktail party in one of our oversized condo style suites or for a larger gathering, we can help plan your event on our RoofTop Terrace which is always available for private events. We hope to see you again soon when you next return to Charleston.

Reviewed April 22, 2010

We stayed here a few days after they opened at the beginning of April. We were traveling with our 2 daughters and it was great to have the space of a one bedroom condo.

They put 2 cots in the living room to accommodate the extra 2 guests at no charge.

Every evening we would fill out a sheet which indicated the breakfast items we wanted for the following day and they would be delivered by picnic basket the following morning (fruit, muffins, juice, coffee, tea, yogurt, cereal the list goes on).
They also offered a wine and cheese every evening which in other hotels we haven’t wanted to bother with but at this hotel because it is so small and the lobby/entrance room So inviting we enjoyed it.

The hotel décor was fantastic, loved the photo prints of South Carolina decorating the rooms. The furnishings were gorgeous just want you want from a boutique hotel.

One of the reasons we picked this hotel was its proximity to shopping areas as we wanted to be able to let our daughters go out on their own shopping which they did with no problem. We walked everywhere and except for dinner one night never used our car.

We loved Charleston and the Restoration on King.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. I am so glad you enjoyed our "Picnic Basket Breakfast" service filled with our fresh baked pastires, fruit and cereals along with our evening Managers Wine & Cheese Reception. I know your daughters had a great time shopping as they returned to the hotel arms filled with all of their findings from their Charleston shopping adventures. We hope to have the oppurtunity to serve you again when you next visit Charleston.

Reviewed April 14, 2010

My wife and I stayed here this past weekend and were overwhelmed by the incredible service, beautiful environment, and luxurious, spacious,apartment style suites. We've stayed in first class accomodations all over the country including Ritz Carlton Resorts but they have nothing on The Restoration on King. Included with our room was a wonderful cheese and wine reception on the roof top overlooking steeples and other Charleston sites. We lounged on comfortable couches and sipped our wine as we watched the sun go down over the bustling streets of downtown Charleston. We slipped out of the hotel and enjoyed stepping right into the heart of this beautiful city. We walked to restaurants and shopping and by some of the many historical homes and parks in the the area. We missed the evening snack set out for guests but were spoiled the next morning with their over the top "continental breakfast" which is actually delivered to your room! Breakfast included coffee and juices, parfait and granola, fresh fruit, bagels and cheese or fruit bagetts made fresh that morning at a local bakery. The rooms are luxurious. The kitchen comes fully equipped with high end appliances. The refridgerator was even stocked with water and soft drinks (no extra charge!). The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. So, as you can probably guess, I highly recommend this hotel. What a difference it made for our special weekend together! David S.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King, Charleston's newest Luxury Boutique Hotel. I am so happy that the weather was so nice during your stay and you were able to enjoy our beautiful rooftop terrace and the wonderful views of Charleston. Sorry you missed our evening Cookies and Milk, but we promise to have some ready for you on your next return. We look forward to the oppurtunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

This boutique hotel exceeded our expectations, from the beautiful kitchen and comfortable bed to a staff that went out of their way to make sure our stay was flawless.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank You for your kind review of The Restoration on King. The staff and managment take great pride in serving all of our guests staying at our new 15 room boutique hotel. I am thrilled that you enjoyed all of the many amenities our guestrooms have to offer. We look forward to the pleasure of serving you again on your next return to Charleston.