“Wonderful stay”

The Restoration
Ranked #9 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed in Charleston at the Restoration on King (ROK) for three nights. The attention to detail was evident everywhere from the minute we got there to our departure. Our apartment was large and very comfortable. We enjoyed wonderful breakfasts each morning, wine and cheese each afternoon,fresh baked cookies in the evening and a wonderful night sleep. The staff was welcoming and very helpful with all our request, helping us select great resturants and plan our activities. They also shipped a package for us that we could not take back on the plane.The location is great. We could not have ask for a more perfect trip.

Room Tip: Our room faced Wentworth Street and was very quiet. Ceiling to floor windows admitted lots of light.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

My husband and I spent last week here for our yearly getaway and so glad we picked this hotel. This is such a unique place to stay -each room is actually an extremely large loft-like apartment with living room, full kitchen, bed and bath. If you want to get away from the standard hotel room, pick this place. The exposed brick walls with modern, but comfy furniture was just the atmosphere we were looking for. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the linens were very high quality. They offer a pillow menu, but we didn't use it as what was on the bed suited our tastes. Little perks like the breakfast picnic basket (scones and muffins could have been better - perhaps get them from Wildflour?? - a gem of a little spot down the way we discovered) or if Sugar (an amazing cupcake shop down the road we came across made scones or muffins - I would get them from there!). Anyhow, the bagels and smoke salmon that were in the basket were amazing and the coffee is great quality and it appears and smells to be freshly ground. The hotel offers a nightly wine and cheese reception in the lobby every night - please don't miss it! The smoked gouda cheese and the prosciutto paired with the wine is a great app before heading out on the town. Not to mention the company of the staff and the general manager who are very welcoming and are there nightly, which add to the camaraderie of the visitors. Another great perk -late in the evening, they put out cookies and biscotti - now, that is a hotel that recognizes that little luxuries is what life is all about. Valet was super fast and affordable.

Room Tip: We had a view of King street and loved it
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My husband and I only spent one night as the hotel was booked during the rest of our stay in Charleston. We stayed in 202. Swanky, yet homey. Metropolitan, yet comfortable. Much thought was given to every detail, which made it quite amazing. The staff were lovely. We sleep with a fan every night for the white noise. Although the rooms come with a nifty white noise machine, our preference was a fan. They actually went and bought one for us while we were at dinner. We had an early flight and they delivered coffee to our room an hour earlier than the kitchen opened. The location is stellar. Yeah, it's pricey, but worth it.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at cute very contemporary older quaint door front to walk in and find wine and cheese for happy hour in lobby. Concierge waiting at desk Rooms have loft and full kitchen. Breakfast arrives each morning with newspaper in picnic basket. What a gem!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed November 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Restoration on King during our wedding week. We booked the one-bedroom suite facing King St. for five days. The location is unbeatable right in the middle of downtown Charleston on King St. The room was fantastic, always clean with a fully stocked kitchen that opened to the living room. The manager was also kind enough to offer us a complementary bottle of champagne as a wedding gift. The staff were extremely friendly and always welcoming. They went above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable as possible. They were also extremely helpful when we requested to use the hotel's rooftop deck for a wedding party champagne toast. We highly recommend staying at the Restoration as we will certainly stay there next time we are in Charleston.
Hassan and Kristin

Reviewed November 5, 2013

This place is great! Yes there is some noise but they have noise machines in the room. I always bring my fan and I have an app on my phone so I never have an issue. I love the breakfasts that are delivered to the room every morning! We order a couple extra juices and milks for throughout the day for our daughter and that is a big help. the wine and cheese at night is fun and my daughter always looked forward to the cookies at night. Everyone there is friendly and Howard is a GEM! We really do feel like this place is our home away from home when we visit Charleston.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kgwrobo
Reviewed November 4, 2013

As others have said, the location is fantastic. The suites are large, tastefully decorated and have comfortable furnishings. Couple of things though: it is a noisy place. Even if your room does not face King Street, their is constant noise, especially during the day. I could hear a constant humming (airco?), the housekeeping staff's voices, the baby crying next door, a private event going on in a seperate area on my floor....I did not expect this and I really had to keep the white noise machine on all the time. Couple of little things: no slippers are provided even though you clearly want to kick off your shoes after a full day of walking. A huge crack in the drywall in my bathroom that was poorly caulked over. My bagel at breakfast was dry and hard, not even close to what I would consider a bagel (no, I am not a New Yorker:). The cushions in the Cabana's on the rooftop patio are filthy, really you cannot lie down on them without first putting a towel down. No lounge chairs on the rooftop patio, no heating lamps (so really cant use the space at night) and no lighting at all. You also cannot access the rooftop unless you are physically fit enough to walk 2 full flights of stairs. The wireless was also very slow, not sure I could work if I had to. I would for these reasons not consider this a luxury hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jen W
HLetts, General Manager at The Restoration, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

I would like to extend my sincerest apologies that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay at The Restoration on King. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was to read that you had not enjoyed your stay and I wish I had had an opportunity to meet with you and discuss some of your concerns.

I am not sure exactly when you stayed with us back in March 2013, however, with the wonderful feedback from all of our guests we have continued to add different amenities to The Restoration on King in order to continue to add to our guests experience when staying with us when visiting Historic Charleston. Several new amenities were added in March and April of 2013, which I am not sure if they were in place when our guest stayed with us. These new amenities include a new Pillow Menu, Slippers, new Wine lists, new "I Forgot Something" menus and new snack menus to all of our guest rooms.

I apologize for the crack in the bathroom wall, I can assure you that our maintenance team and I work very hard on all of our repairs and are constantly re-doing any projects that do not meet our standards.

Our breakfast Pastries are delivered daily fresh from a local bakery that also provides breakfast pastries for many of Charleston's four diamond hotels. All of the cushions on the rooftop were re-covered with a custom boat/marine grade cushions in an effort to continue to maintain our standards of cleanliness.

I apologize for any concerns with our Wi Fi. We actually did 2 upgrades in 2012 and have not had concerns with the speed of this from internet provider Comcast. I wish I had been made aware of this so that I could have investigated this issue.

I am so very sorry for all of these items, but want to assure you that we take our guests feedback very seriously. During the past year we have added hard boiled eggs, smoked salmon, prosciutto and brie cheese to our breakfast menu. We have added two choices of draft beer along with prosciutto, mozzarella cheese and assorted olives to our manager’s wine and cheese and Biscotti’s and Port wine to our evening cookies and milk.

I would greatly appreciate if you had a moment if we could further discuss your concerns so that I can continue to improve the standards at The Restoration on King. Again, my sincerest apologies. I do hope we will have an opportunity to further discuss your concerns in an effort regain your trust and loyalty in The Restoration on King