“Great Central Location in Charleston”
Review of The Restoration

The Restoration
Ranked #9 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The previous reviewer did a great job of covering all that ROK has to offer. We loved our spacious one bedroom condo, and unlike other condos we have rented, actually had nice good-quality cookware and dishes to use, and the appliances are high-end. This is so often not the case. Reheating or cooking simple items was a breeze at ROK. Also, our fridge was stocked with water and soft drinks - which was quite convenient, as the temperatures were very warm when we arrived.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at ROK. A few things that lessened the experience for us was that there is a very small parking area for checking in. I had emailed previously regarding where check-in was and it was not answered. Thinking it was no big deal, we arrived in Charleston only to find we were on the other side of the street. Quite minor in another city, but Charleston is full of one-way or extremely narrow streets plus plenty of blocked roads due to construction. Arriving tended to be quite stressful as we winded our way further and further away. When we made our way back, we found the check-in area full and had to park in an alleyway down the block. The valet kindly came to our aid, and walked to our car to park it. When arriving at ROK, make sure you are going east on Wentworth, it will make your life a lot easier. I must say, though, the manager Howard made things right for us, so we give ROK credit for that.

The concept of the continental breakfast delivery to your suite when you want it, is great. However, we did not encounter anyone phoning us prior to delivery of the breakfast as the previous reviewer mentioned (did not even see a check box indicating that) and found it outside our door, at the requested time. Breakfast was somewhat disappointing. We found the croissants ordered dry and obviously a day old; scones dry (maybe day old). Otherwise it was well-packed with obvious care. We opted out the second day and went to Hominy Grill.

We were right on King Street and had no issues with noise. There was a slight bit of street noise, but our sleeping area was away from that and the great beds were very comfortable. However, the extremely large head board was not anchored correctly and slammed on the wall when you made the slightest movement (insert what joke you may here). Since we were there for a short stay, we fixed the problem by stuffing a towel in between the wall and headboard.

The hotel is centrally located and very convenient for walking the historic area, great eateries, plus very close to great shopping on King Street. The staff are very pleasant and any request is quickly looked after. Despite a few glitches, ROK is definitely a place we would like to stay at again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lady_World_Traveller
Write a ReviewReviews (1,055)

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We recently stayed at Restoration on King in the downtown area of Charleston, and it was a very pleasant stay.

Our condo was extremely comfortable and roomy with a good layout. The living area had nice chairs and a big couch with an attached chaise lounge. The decorations were very attractive. There was a large flat screen TV in the living area that showed many channels, and DVDs are available in the lobby. It was charming that the old exposed brick was on one of the walls.

I loved the kitchen; the cabinets were done very nicely, and there was a pretty backsplash, granite countertops, and nice lighting. Stainless steel appliances were provided - oven, cooktop, dishwasher, and microwave. This was very inviting, so I cooked breakfast omelets for us during our stay, which is something I rarely do while vacationing. The kitchen was well-stocked with cookware, dishes, flatware, utensils, a coffee maker, a toaster, a blender, dish towels, pot holders, paper products … all the conveniences, and well-planned.

The bed was extremely comfortable with a great choice of pillows. The bedroom had Roman shades that blocked the morning sunlight well, and white noise machines were included; the bedroom also had a ceiling fan and a flat screen TV. The master bath had a large shower with nice tile and good water pressure. A makeup mirror was provided, which is greatly appreciated by female travelers.

There was a washer/dryer behind a door in the hall for added convenience. Free Wi-Fi was available at a good speed.

I learned from one of the staff that ROK was initially renovated as condos to be sold, but when the housing market crashed, it was decided to rent the condos as a boutique hotel. I think this was a wise decision, as it was a wonderful place to stay.

There are a couple of things that other travelers should be aware of when staying here. First is the breakfast. ROK doesn't have a full service kitchen, so they provide a list of continental breakfast items that are available on a selection card. Guests check off what they want the next morning, and hang the card on the door handle at night. The first morning we were there, the picnic basket was left outside our door, and we retrieved it once we were up. The next two mornings someone called and woke us, saying that she was on her way with breakfast. The first time this happened, I just let this go as I thought it was a mistake. When it happened again the next morning I complained about it, as we hadn't requested a wake-up call. The manager came up later to explain what had happened. He said that some guests like to know when breakfast is on the way. He acknowledged that we didn't request this, but said there was an option on the selection card that we should have checked saying that we didn't want to be called. My husband and I are very detail oriented people, and neither of us noticed this option. When we discussed it later, we wondered if we had filled out old selection cards without this option included. Guests should look for this or there will be a phone call announcing that breakfast is on its way. The manager gave us a credit on our bill for this inconvenience, and we appreciated his thoughtfulness.

Another small problem is that I placed a grocery order before our arrival by using the ROK app. I ordered a few dairy items. After we had settled in our condo, I opened the refrigerator to find more than what I had ordered, and when I checked the bill, I found that I had been charged for lots of things I hadn't requested. I checked off which things I had initially ordered, and took the bill to the girl in the lobby. She looked into this, and found that the app mistakenly ordered every single item in the dairy menu option. She reimbursed us for the items we hadn't ordered. If I was going to stay here again, I wouldn't use the app to order anything. In fact, once I was there, I found that a Harris Teeter is not far away, so I would do my shopping myself, as there was a charge for them to get the groceries for us.

There is something else that I should mention, and that is the private patio. I wouldn't choose this again, as there isn't much of a view; we saw lots of ugly power lines and old buildings, and that wasn't worth the extra money. ROK has a rooftop deck that is available to everyone; the view is a bit nicer since it's higher.

Be aware that ROK is in a very old building, so the floors are squeaky, and the walls are a bit thin. So I was glad we were on one of the top floors.

Overall we were very happy with ROK. The staff was very polite, helpful, and accommodating. It was a first rate place to stay, and we will return if we travel again to Charleston.

Room Tip: Higher floors should have less overhead noise. Private patios aren't worth the expense.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelbugbigtime
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I enjoyed this charming hotel in the heart of historic downtown Charleston. The hotel staff was amazing and the suite was so warm and inviting. You will not be disappointed with ROK. Highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was the perfect place for our annual girls' weekend getaway. The staff (thank you Nathan and Ashley) was super friendly, accommodating and helpful to meet our special requests. We booked the Girls' Getaway Package, and it was perfect. Mani/Pedis for all, a catered lunch, delicious dinner at Muse, wine and cheese reception...what more could you ask for? The room was fabulous, had plenty of space for the 5 of us and overlooked King Street. The location was close to everything. We walked everywhere. I will definitely be back...maybe for a weekend getaway with my husband next time :-)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Nicest hotel I've stayed at in the area, and I've stayed at quite a few nice ones (Charleston Place, Market Pavilion, Vendue, etc). Gorgeous urban renewal. Beautiful interior, exposed brick. Full kitchens. Laundry machines. Worth every penny. Location is amazing. Only downside: they charged the wrong credit card (the room was prepaid via another method of payment, and they charged the credit card saved for incidentals). That being said, the staff is working with me to reverse the charge.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Love love loved The ROK!! My husband and I stayed at The ROK following our wedding. This boutique hotel was exquisite...from the urban chic decor with a historical Charleston B&B feel, we were in heaven. The service was phenomenal, each concierge made us feel right at home. One of our favorite memories, was pre-ordering our breakfast in the evening, then waking up to a large picnic basket at our door filled with our our delicious spread of goodies. The concierge arranged everything from an in room couple's massage to a carriage ride, bike rentals, dinner reservations and even in room dining from the restaurant of our choice, not to mention that I was able to check out a complimentary Apple laptop they have reserved for guests to use during their stay, what more can you ask for! We even had the opportunity to meet the owner Howard, who was so gracious and welcoming. We loved the kitchen with all the bells and whistles, the cozy living room area, and our spacious contemporary bathroom. Our favorite spot for a night cap was The ROK roof top that offered cozy contemporary furniture, overlooking the heart of downtown Charleston on King Street. The ROK was definitely a highlight of our wedding weekend and we highly recommend it to anyone looking for a little piece of heaven in beautiful Charleston!

Room Tip: Corner Suites will give you a great view of King Street, we had no issues with street noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The suites are beautiful, and the amenities from complimentary cookies and milk at bedtime to basketed breakfast delivery are wonderful! Very centrally located, and the rooftop terrace topped all those we visited in Charleston. Would revisit again and again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family