“Delightful and Charming.” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Delightful and Charming.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This boutique hotel (only 16 rooms) has been restored with the utmost care and guest consideration. The lofty rooms are large, open, graciously appointed and very comfortable. The amenities are considerable, but I think my favorite was the sound machine in the bedroom. Listening to gentle rain or the ocean waves while heading off to sleep is just the ticket for a deep sleep after a full day of sight seeing. We had to get one when we got home.
We were on the top floor in the 2 bedroom condo, with all those wonderful windows and floors from the 1840's. That said, you do hear street noise and the occasional laughter of conversations. You're downtown, for goodness sake. But it was not an issue and I am very sensitive to noise.
We took advantage of all the hotel offered. Bike riding through town to tour old mansions (bikes have locks) and then going on a culinary tour of local restaurants was one of the highlights of our trip. It was chilly, but it wasn't raining and the streets aren't too crowded with traffic. If we had stayed there longer, we would have taken the bikes out again to see the waterfront. As it was, we changed our plans to stay an extra 2 nights at the RoK and enjoy more of Charleston. The breakfast basket in the morning was decadent, the wine and cheese in the afternoon fun, and the cookies and milk in the evening was the perfect sweet tooth cap to the evening. With all that, who needed to eat outside, but how can one resist the fabulous restaurants in Charleston.
The hotel is ideally situated downtown walking distance to shopping, restaurants, mansions, parks.
Highly recommend the Restoration on King. And grab a glass of wine and be sure to sit on the terrace upstairs.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms would be wonderful in warmer weather. Bring earplugs if you're sensitive to stree...
1 Thank sassysue19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
a
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

top class service at this boutique hotel - full marks to general manager howard for doing everything to ensure our stay was a pleasant one. It's always a pleasure to meet people who really care. we liked the small hotel feel too, a welcome change from the big chains.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you like extra space and essentially having an apartment to yourself when you travel, but also enjoy the services of a hotel (daily maid service, concierge, newspaper, breakfast to the room) then this place is for you. Modern apartments (built to be condos) in a renovated older building with very tall ceilings, lots of windows letting in bright light (with good shades though if you want it dark), and everything you'd expect from an apartment: full kitchen, washer/dryer, nicely set up living room area with DVD and cable, and excellent, fast wireless internet. Everyone working there is friendly and quick to resolve any questions or concerns. We booked the culinary package which was truly a delight thanks to Steve from Cru Cafe catering who made a wonderful 5 course meal for us in our own kitchen (he brings everything with him!). And look for a cooking class at Charleston Cooks, even if you don't have the package! We had a room on the top (3rd) floor with a balcony, and highly recommend it. Others have said 2nd floor rooms hear creaking from the floor above them, and I can believe this given the building itself is older. My one suggestion for improvement is the baked goods in the breakfast - they come cold and wrapped in saran wrap, making them seem less appealing although perhaps more hygienic. Consider serving these warm, wrapped in a napkin instead of plastic. We thought the yogurt parfaits were the tastiest option on the breakfast menu. Also the location of the hotel is fantastic, right on King street and very close to Market street. We walked everywhere and didn't get in our car or a taxi the whole weekend. We'd definitely stay here again.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

After living in Charleston for 6 years personally, I was amazed once I stayed in this hotel. I currently travel over 300 days/nights a year for business. Having seen my full share of hotels across all budgets and brands it is safe to say that Restoration on King performs with the utmost professionalism and true Charleston Charm. My husband and I stayed at RoK when visiting Charleston in October 2012. The room was fantastic!!! We booked a balcony room and I was blown away by the size of the room. The room itself was larger than my first apartment. The staff are friendly and know Charleston. They don't just walk through the "tourist" talking points, but take the time to tell people about the true Charleston.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and go for a balcony room. It is worth the extra price to have coffee/breakfast...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My 12 year old son and I enjoyed a 4 day vacation in Charleston, one of our favorite destinations! We have in the past rented large apartments, however, with just the two of us we found Restoration on King to be perfect. The rooms were large a modernly appointed. The king bed and linens were soft, super clean and comfortable. We slept very well at this property. We were able to walk to so many areas of the city and restaurants and fantastic shopping was at your door step. The wine and cheese in the evening was lovely, we enjoyed ours on the roof top. My son loved the cookies and milk in the late evening as well. The most thoughtful touch was the breakfast basket delivered to your room every morning. We were tickled every morning not having to rush to a lobby for a stale breakfast. The food was not the highest quality , and I would never visit which ever bakery they are purchasing from due to that reason, however for a coffee and muffin it was just fine. As small as the hotel is they always had someone at the front reception and valet parking was faster than any large property could have been. The staff was super friendly and I enjoyed my conversations with them daily. I would positively stay here again and would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: All the rooms are shaped and sized differently, ask the front desk for details.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have stayed at Restoration three times now but had a two year break since the last visit. I love Restoration because the rooms are huge, have a full kitchen and living room and it sits on a great location above King Street at Wentworth.

My only suggestion is one I make regarding many hotels after they have been around for a while. The management needs to pay attention to the wear and tear showing on baseboards and on bath tile, specifically grout. I find that when the baseboards are beat up and dirty (especially the top edge having heavy dust), it makes the entire room feel dirty whether it is or not. In today's day of swiffers of every shape and size, it is far too easy to have the housekeeping crew sweep one along the top edge of the baseboard to remedy this issue. Having the baseboards repainted every few years would be a great idea as well. Even if this is only done on the areas with high traffic and heavy wear.

The bath grout is my biggest pet peeve. Again, in a day of Tilex and grout bleaching products galore, how can a hotel let the grout get black when it was clearly tan in the beginning as you can see in areas that are not dirty? I also cannot tolerate dark brown corners in the bathroom especially when they are in the vanity area, not even in the shower. How and why does housekeeping let that happen? I found a piece of plastic off a bottle in a corner behind the toilet which indicated that housekeeping had missed that area altogether.

So while I love this hotel, I would highly recommend to management that they touch up the bathrooms and baseboards and keep it in the pristine condition I found it in during my two previous visits. I know Restoration has a following and repeat customers can see the difference.

I also noted that the pastries in the morning basket (which is a lovely touch at this hotel) were different and not as fresh or tasty as they had previously been. I do not know if the hotel switched vendors or if the bakery used has gone downhill. It's such a wonderful service that the hotel needs to keep it at the top notch quality it was in the past. The cookies and milk in the evening were delicious.

By no means am I saying that you shouldn't stay at Restoration; I still say it's a great choice in Charleston if you like the Boutique Hotel style. I'm saying that it just needs a few updates so it remains the wonderful destination it has been in the past.

Room Tip: I pefer ones facing King Street so that I can people watch in the morning during my coffee. If you...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was our (two couples) first trip to Charleston, SC. Thus our first stay at The Restoration on King was our introduction to the area. We cannot imagine a more perfect place to spend 5 days to get to know the area and its people.
This very special boutique hotel is staffed by a group of people who from start to finish make you feel part of the family. It starts with a greeting and great service by Sam and Darren, and never stopped in our 5 days on property. A continuous, proactive assistance from Nicole, Giovanna, and Nathan at the desk made us comfortable from the moment they checked us in, to their daily guidance around the city. You'll have a special moment when you meet Howard (General Manager) who is insistent on making sure your every move is attended to in a first class manor.
If you are traveling to Charleston, the rooms are as special as the people, and there cannot be a better place to stay in this city. It will be our "go to" destination from now on as we will recommend this to our family and friends. This place ranks with the best hotels we have visited in our global travels. Don't miss it!!
Steve Bowsher--Chicago

Room Tip: All rooms are great (we looked at several in our stay). We preferred a room on the back side of the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business