The Restoration
King Charles Inn(Charleston)
Indigo Inn(Charleston)
Planters Inn(Charleston)
1,075 results
All reviewspicnic basketfull kitchenbreakfast basketking streetwine and cheeseeach morningboutique hotelloft styleexposed brickcookieswasher and dryerstudio suiterooftop restaurantthe general managerbreakfast deliveredliving areahardwood floors
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Our first taste of Restoration on King wasn't a pleasant one. However, after a brief conversation with the general manager, we were much more excited about our long anticipated long weekend. Our two bedroom apartment was beautiful. Everything inside the apartment was right - well decorated, clean, and overall just an amazing place. Then we sat down, and the bass from the Lucky store below hit us. And continued to hit us from about 10am - 9pm each night. I couldn't believe it. I complained to the manager once and to concierge, and they said they would call.. but unless Lucky would turn their music off, I don't see the problem ending any time soon. In order to sit around during the day (and we did because the hotel is so centrally located that it's possible to go out and enjoy Charleston and then come back to get a break from the heat), we had to turn our own music on fairly loudly, which I'm sure only compounds the problem for the neighbors. Because it's an old building that has been renovated, it's also possible to hear every step that's taken overhead. We woke up two of the three mornings at 8am to kids apparently racing back and forth in the condo above us. Not exactly what you're going for when paying as much as Restoration on King charges.

What was great: The location, the beautiful amenities, the happy hour and the willingness of staff to please, the bikes available for use, as well as the breakfast set up - so fantastic to wake up knowing there was a picnic basket full of goodies at the front door. My only complaint there was that sometimes our order wasn't followed - it seemed like substitutions were made without any kind of notice, but the options were all good so it didn't really bother us (though I'm still dreaming about the cheese danish that I didn't get from my last order!).

What is keeping us from returning: The noise. The street noise I can handle - afterall, for the location, I would expect to hear people outside, cars going by, etc.. I couldn't handle listening to the store underneath. Now, I am incredibly sensitive and I'm aware of that. I asked to be moved to the top floor, but the hotel was booked for the holiday weekend. I e-mailed a week in advance but never got a response. I should have followed up, so I will take responsibility there.

Overall, Restoration on King is a beautiful hotel with amazing amenities and staff. If you can handle the noise (mainly the bass), then I highly recommend it. But for me, sadly, I'll be looking into other options.

Room Tip: Beg, plead, and cry to be put on the top floor. I imagine my review would be completely different if I had had this.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SandMMadison
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our anniversary this past month. A little nervous about booking a boutique style hotel, seeing as neither of us really knew what it would be like. It was the most amazing place we have ever stayed! Travis took good care of us, this will be the only place we stay when going to Charleston!!

Reviewed August 25, 2011

The Restoration on King was perfect for our 1st visit to Charleston; near dining, shopping, museums, etc. The 1 bedroom was comfortable & spacious---good for 2 adults & teen (on rollaway bed) So nice to come back after a long day's worth of sightseeing. Love the breakfast baskets...chocolate crossaints & yogurt parfait were my favorites. So nice to have a full kitchen for enjoying leftovers & snacks. Big plus was having washer/dryer so I arrived back home with no laundry to do. Thank you to the wonderful staff & management for being there and making our stay perfect.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank demTravels
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This was the perfect place to spend our 10th anniversary! The Restoration on King made our first trip to Charleston a wonderful experience. The staff made every effort to make us feel comfortable and with wine & cheese in the afternoon, milk & cookies before bed, turn down service, and a picnic basket full of breakfast goodies in the morning, we couldn't have asked for more. We appreciated having a fully stocked kitchen - if only for the refrigerator, full sized coffeemaker, and extra plates (no cooking ever took place). Both the bedroom and the living area had large flat screen tvs and couch was perfect for lounging. To top off the trip, the owner checked in on us before our departure. Who could ask for more?

Reviewed August 16, 2011

We visited ROK in August of 2011 and it was wonderful! The service and accommodations exceeded our expectations. We were able to check in a couple of hours early and were brought to our room by the very helpful Darren. The hotel is centrally located and within a 10-15 minute walk of everything in Charleston. The room was so luxurious and very clean. The picnic basket breakfast was fresh and delicious.

We have stayed at many places in Charleston and the ROK is, without a doubt, the best of the best!