“Funky Taco Joint”

Taco Boy
Ranked #149 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Upstate New York
“Funky Taco Joint”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

A couple locals recommended Taco Boy, so we decided to check it out. During our short stay in Charleston we visited this place twice.

The first experience was great. It worked to our advantage that we went during a slower week night, so there was no wait to be seated. Our waitress was nice and efficient. I ordered the carne asada and carnitas tacos which were both delicious, however the carne asada taco was the stand out . On a positive note, you can customize your taco by choosing a type of taco shell (e.g., flour, corn or lettuce wrap). The corn tortillas were pretty good.

The second experience wasn't as wonderful as our first, but we visited on a weekend night for dinner, so we expected it to be much busier. We waited approximately 45 minutes for a table. It took another 45 minutes for us to receive our appetizer. Our waitress apologized for the wait, however it would have been nice gesture to give us some chips (something else) to provide a bit of service recovery. The taquitos were delicious as well as the tacos. The food was consistently delicious for both visits. It was incredibly busy this night and the noise was deafening. My ears were ringing when we left.

Despite the name of the place, the overall ambiance of Taco Boy is uniquely elegant yet funky when compared to the typical Mexican restaurants I've been to. The stained glass and iron clad chandeliers are beautiful. The food was delectable and the interior of the restaurant is stunning. The noise during our second visit was almost unbearable and the long wait for our meals was a point of dissatisfaction. I recommend you visit on a weekday to save both time and your hearing.

• Visited June 2013
Heather P, Public Relations Manager at Taco Boy, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
HOLA! Thank you for your review! We are pumped to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us! We look forward to having you back soon! Lets FIesta!

Greenville, South Carolina
“Love the Fish Tacos”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The Asian taco is yummy and also the frozen screwdrivers.
THe atmosphere is fun and cute. I wish I had one next door!

Visited June 2013
HOLA! Thank you for your review! We are amped to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Taco Boy! LEts Fiesta again soon!
“Yummy!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is my "have to" when I'm in Charleston! They have an amazing variety of tacos-my fav is Kimchi Beef. The outdoor is awesome - you can bring your dog! The interior decor is fun!

Atlanta, Georgia
“YUM and adequate parking!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

There's so many great places to eat in Charleston, but honestly parking to eat at those places can be a headache. I was thrilled to see a full parking lot at Taco Boy. The atmosphere is so fun - I've never been to Mexico, but it seemed like a good imitation. There's no free chips and salsa, which is a drag, but the chili con queso dip is awesome. Our waitress was super helpful and attentive. They have an extensive menu of taco options. The tacos were a little pricey ($3.95 a piece) especially since you will likely need two to fill you up - unless you get chips and dip before hand, in which case you might be good with just one :). You also will probably want to try more than one because the offerings are so interesting and varied. I had the plain Americano taco (or something like that), which was basic and tasty - just how I like it! I had been to the Taco Boy in Folly Beach, and this one is much more spacious inside, and the outside dining area is nicer. I definitely recommend going there to others, and it was a place that I would not mind returning to each time I visit Charleston.

• Visited May 2013
HOLA! Thank you for your review! We are amped to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Taco Boy! Yay for parking!! :) LEts Fiesta again soon!
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“Amazing Food and perfect outdoor area”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love you can bring your dogs here :) But amazing tacos (my husband loved the grilled fish) - we also had the skinny pineapple marg's YUM! Highly recommend this place for lunch or a Sunday Funday.