“Historical and Contemporary”

21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Historical and Contemporary”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My husband and I have been to the Unitarian Church three times since we have visited in the area. The building and graveyard are historical but the service, parishioners, and pastor are contemporary in their worship. Visitors are welcomed both publicly during the service if they so choose and are greeted cordially and with friendship by regular members of the parish. The choir was present at both services we attended.Rev Danny Reed gives good sermons and is available during the coffee hour after the service. The sanctuary, windows and memorial tablets depict the long history of the church. The graveyard is surprisingly large and, of course, very old since the church construction was initially begun in 1772. If we lived here, we would belong to this parish.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Kate M

Fort Myers, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Serene”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have been inside only once, and it has a beautiful ceiling. But it is the cemetery that draws me back. It looks creepy, but it is strangely comforting. Spanish moss, palm trees, flowers and history. I have been there once when tomatoes, peppers and eggplant were growing twixt tiny tombstones. But see the inside of the church. Beautiful.

Visited March 2013
Greer, SC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“If you're a Unitarian Universalist....”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

And you haven't been here yet....you need to come here. Most Unitarian Universalist churches are far and away more about the community than about the building, and that's quite good and OK. But when you step into this church, it's about building, AND history. Gosh, if you're a liberal and religious, this church and its cemetery can take your breath away. I was there for an inter generational service, which we all know can get hokey - I didn't know any of the kids - and I still left feeling that I had just experienced something great.

Visited December 2012
6 Thank NobodyInParticular
Cleveland,
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Black cat in Unitarian Churchyard”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went to visit this cemetery after hearing about it on a haunted Charleston tour. We went more so to see the overgrown flowers and old graves, not with the hope of seeing any ghosts. The graveyard was fantastic - so close to the main streets, yet it felt like a completely secluded, different world. I was walking near the center isle, and a black cat came running up the path towards me! My friend saw it, too, but just wondering if anyone else has seen this cat in the cemetery? It was very friendly and followed us around for about 5 minutes.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Wendy G
Collierville, Tennessee
139 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Beautiful church, interesting graveyard”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

As someone who loves native plants, the cemetery at the Unitarian Church was just lovely. Many may think it is wild, overgrown, and "untended", but to me it seemed alive with all the butterflies and birds flying around. Cemeteries are ususally so sterile and manicured, so this certainly gives a different flavor to what a cemetery can be. We were there on a Saturday - if you can possibly time your visit for a Saturday between 11-1, do so because the church is open to visitors at this time. We were very welcomed and were given a history of the church. It is beautiful inside - the ceiling is just lovely and they have many stained glass windows that have survived many a hurricane. If you want to go to a Sunday service in this church, you might want to call to find out if they are holding the service in the church. Our understanding is that since the church isn't air conditioned, they hold their services in another building at certain times of the year.

Visited September 2012