“Great restaurant right off Market Street without so many tourists”

Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 898 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Cumblerland
Transit: Public Transit (bus) stop is located directly in front of the restaurant.
Description: Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar opened in 2009, reviving the former Amen name of Cumberland Street and restoring this historic corner. The new renovation stays true to the beauty of the original 1800's architecture while creating a comfortable atmosphere for contemporary life. Located at 205 East Bay Street in the heart of the historic district this Charleston seafood restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor dining all within walking distance of the local Market and the Charleston Harbor. The menu includes a variety of seafood dishes such as oysters, clams and shrimp in addition to an ever growing raw bar menu. Amen Street supports Charleston's local fishing industry with market fresh fish. We are open for lunch and dinner. Walk-ins are welcome and reservations are accepted as well.
Greensboro,Nc
“Great restaurant right off Market Street without so many tourists”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

My friends & I were visiting Charleston and wanted to find a good seafood restaurant, but we were tired of eating at the "commercialized touristy" ones that you find walking up & down Market Street. Amen Street Fish & Raw Bar is literally 1 block from the market right on Bay Street and is great! My friends & I like to get a taste of everyone else's plates -(okay, use your clean fork first :) - so we all tasted the following yummies: hushpuppy appetizers with honey dip, 2 different fresh fish entrees - grouper & tuna with herbs & chopped tomatoes selection on each, and a sinful chocolate dessert. We shared a white wine choice that was good & reasonable. We weren't crazy about the she crab soup (not enough crab meat) or the bread pudding dessert (maybe because the chocolate selection was so much better?) Also, I do like a little bread with olive oil with dinner and was told the restaurant "doesn't do bread, only saltine crackers". Otherwise, the service and food were great! Tip: If you want to try the appetizers and/or dessert and still want to watch your weight and cost of the bill, this restaurant also offers 1/2 size (and 1/2 price) seafood dinner entrees - nice option :)

Charleston, South Carolina
“Shockingly Great Oysters! So Fresh and Fabulous.”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Shockingly yummy raw oysters for seafood in Charleston when you are going for more fine dining Amen is a breath of fresh air restaurants had really been getting old in the historic district downtown. The atmosphere is very modern great artwork and lighting. I had a great booth in the back it was a busy dinner the service was fast and delightful. The volume was just right everyone could have a nice conversation sound carried well. Everyone raved about the food we ordered more just to try it. A new favorite stop for sure.

2 Thank Catherine W
Saint Augustine Beach, Florida
“Absolutely great seafood and service”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We were enjoying Charleston and decided to stop for a glass of wine at an outside table. Perfect atmosphere for an afternoon. The service and the calamari appetizer were so good we decided to go inside for supper. Crab cakes for my wife and I had grilled snapper as one of their daily specials. Everything was outstanding, and will be back soon. And Chris our waiter was a stand out!!

Burlington, Vermont
“Watch out Legal Seafood”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Wow, honestly, the best seafood dish I can remember in recent years. I had some firm white fish (forgot name), blackened, served on bed of rice and green beans, the flavors were just so good. I was with a colleague, who had a similar dish, and he agreed completely. We sat at the bar, which is also nice, but the place was pretty full at tables too. My only slight beef (no pun intended) is that the bartender really could not describe the types of fish on the menu, although otherwise a very nice and professional guy. Maybe the servers at tables are better trained, but I think its important for any server to be able to describe what is on the menu.. No worries, it was a great meal.

Atlanta, Georgia
“My favorite meal in Charleston”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We ate here on a visit to my son in college. We had reservations and were promptly seated. Our waitress was very helpful. She showed us her favorites on the menu and what to veer away from. My husband and I ordered a fish dish over hash (either grouper or flounder). It was excellent and I would order this agin when I go back. My son got the shrimp and grits and cleaned his plate. He said it was great. The wine was good as well. I would definately recommend Amen Street and will go back on our next visit. Great food, atmospere and service.

Visited October 2011