“Decent Quick Korean Fix”
Review of Mama Kim's

Mama Kim's
Ranked #292 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Need some Korean? Need it now? Mama Kim's is a good Charleston option. I'm a huge fan of Korean food so I have to admit right off the bat that this isn't the best you'll find. However, if you're in a fix and can't commit to the traditional Korean BBQ dinner (with all the trimmings and usually a longer wait/dining experience), then Mama Kim's is a decent choice. You DO get a lot of food for your money, too. Try it for takeout-- the tiny storefront is fine, but usually crowded with students. Service is great, and I really appreciate their strict "no-cell-phone-when-ordering" policy-- I hope more restaurants follow in their footsteps here.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

In addition to the Korean menu, Mama Kim's also offers hibachi items. The teriyaki chicken is very good, portions are large, and prices are much better than a Japanese steakhouse. Great stop for a quick lunch.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

After reading some good reviews on tripadvisor.com, we decided to give it a try during lunch time.. One the wall of the restaurant, there are many photos. It did look like Mama Kim was like a mama. But later we knew what it really means

I ordered a Beef Flavored Noodle. I wondered a bit what beef flavored mean, but I did not think too much or ask. When it was served, as an Asian I can tell right away it was instant noodle even though they did not put in the dried vegetable coming with the package (i guess purposely)! It is out of my imagination that a restaurant would serve instant noodle. It is OK with me if they name it Beef Flavored Instant Noodle on their menu. Is not it too misleading? I talked to the waiter who did not know how to respond. Then Mama Kim showed up and told me there was a more expensive noodle ($16.95?) on the menu which is not instant. So what? Does it make any difference? She told me she had been running restaurant for 40 years, nobody had any issues except me. And she asked me where I came from. (Does it matter?). She said she felt she met me before (Was it a threaten?) Sorry Kim, your record stopped here since someone figured out what kind of noodle you served. On amazon.com, everyone can buy a pack of 20 for $17. We asked other customers, they said they had been here before but they did not know the restaurant used instant noodle. Oh she also claimed she gave us free side dishes (Korean Kimchi) which should be a dollar each.. Well we did not ask for them and everyone gets side dishes there. BTW the side dishes look like reused (seriously) we did not even want to touch.. Then I knew why Kim calls herself Mama, because she has been kidding! It amazed me how Korean authentic their food is, maybe authentic Korean instant noodle?

5  Thank Altec67
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Mama Kim's the best restaurant in Downtown Charleston! That wok place on King Street is nasty and not mention expensive!

Reviewed August 31, 2010

If you are looking for a budget meal and had enough of the fastfood. Try this.
Very tasty, exotic and more commonly entrees in a relaxing and friendly atmosphere.
Really loved the teriyaki chicken, my daughter had non-spicy noodles and like them also.

1  Thank joepTheNetherlands