“Private tour. Well worth it. A Charleston must-do.”
Review of Black Cat Tours

Black Cat Tours
Ranked #116 of 236 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore Charleston's haunted, dark and odd history with a company who has a strong commitment to quality over quantity. Owned and operated by authors/historians/investigators Mark R. Jones and Rebel Sinclair, Black Cat offers tours aimed for the travelers who want to step slightly out-of-the-mainstream and do not want to walk with a herd. Mark is the author of five books about Charleston history, and Rebel is the author of two historical novels about Charleston's romance, tragedy and spirits. Call for reservations.
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I took a private tour with Mark Jones in May of 2012 and received exactly what I expected. Through chance, I had Mark on a carriage tour for two years prior and enjoyed my experience enough that I Googled him and found Black Cat. We set up a time to meet and my wife and I spent a good portion of the afternoon with him (he went well over the allotted time we paid for and I appreciated that). He blended many different stories and personal experiences to help educate and entertain us throughout the afternoon. If you are looking for a casual tour by a novice, killing a few months in the summer for extra cash and reading from a company "approved" script, move on, this is not for you. Mark is a published author in addition to a guide and this is what we were looking for in terms of a thorough tour, not information I can find on Wiki. My wife and I travel as much as we can and being a history buff, I have certain expectations with my experiences that I pay for and our private tour with Mark certainly met them. I highly, highly suggest a tour with him. If you can part with the cash for a private one where you can ask questions and directly interact with him, you need to do it. A Charleston must-do.

Jason

3  Thank JasonMenz

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We took the ghost tour, but didn't think about the "locals" that frequently heckled the tour - made it slightly difficult to really get into the full scary haunted mind set, but it was still fun. The tour guide did an overall good job, but did come across as very theater/actor-ish at times, but still was a fun time. One local (a lovely young woman clearly on her way to a night spot dressed in a short skirt and high heels pranced in front of us in a sing songy voice "Ghost tour - ghost tour"... still sticks in our heads - really really funny moment - probably had to be there, but really, expect heckling).

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We took the ghost tour. This was less of a ghost tour and more of a conspiracy theory tour. Rebel was a nice person, but her stories sounded over rehearsed and she took herself a bit too seriously. I felt her logic was off on several things. She seemed to lose interest near the end of the tour. A sardonic exchange with a heckler left us unimpressed. I think the tour is priced right. We had a fine time, but it's not something we would recommend or do again.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I took this tour on Oct. 13, 2012 with Mark on the Wicked Tour. He is an excellent tour guide and a local man. He has lived in Charleston his whole life and it shows in his storytelling. We have taken tours in the past and this one has been the best. Its not ghost stories, but it is very interesting with information that we would have never known. It wasn't cheesy like some tours can be. He seemed to love his job and was very nice and interesting. To make things even better, on Sunday mornings, he offers a FREE tour of the battery area and Rainbow Row and its full of neat historical stories. I would highly recommend these tours for couples and groups of friends....NOT for anyone with children. Excellent all the way around!