“Nice hotel”

Comfort Suites West of the Ashley
Ranked #34 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We have no complaints about the rooms - spacious and clean and we enjoyed our 3 nights there. But the staff could use a few lessons on how to treat the customer- very unfriendly and had an attitude. Checking in there was a snide comment about dividing a bill between 2 people and when the room cards wouldn't work and we had to head back to the desk, a "sorry" would have been nice instead of just handing us the new cards. We were told the breakfast hours were 7-10am and there was no explanation this would change on weekdays. When we noticed on our Tuesday checkout day at 9:45am the food was disappearing, the lady in charge of the breakfast explained it was only until 9:30 and brought us out whatever we needed and likewise for another family. Kudos to her- she was the friendliest staff we experienced the whole stay! Management needs to retrain their staff to have an attitude adjustment and make the visitor feel appreciated because it's a nice physical building without any warmth.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank 2seniorcitizens
There are newer reviews for Comfort Suites West of the Ashley

Reviewed April 16, 2013

The hotel itself was a clean and the room spacious.

The compromise is that the hotel is about a 20 minute drive out of Charleston.

We were concerned about road noise from the highway but requested a room on a high floor which seemed to fix it.

Otherwise the location was OK but there didn't seem to be many dinner options nearby (and no restaurant or room service) so in the evenings you have to drive in and parking can be hard to find.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andikins
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Mind you, there isn't anything overly special about this hotel, however it is clean, the beds are comfortable and it is quiet which I appreciate. The staff is very polite and I appreciated that also. When you're staying away from home, it's nice when you encounter really pleasent people. The breakfast choices are adequate and they do serve a hot portion during a narrow window. I'm not sure how it was as I didn't eat anything cooked. My only gripe was the fitness room. It is definitely sub-par. The treadmill is on its last legs and everything is dirty and run down.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank marylanddweller
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a very large suite with 2 Queens and a sofa bed. Apparently we got the handicapped room. The bathroom was huge - just regular sink, toilet, tub (with chair and rails). Very clean, relatively quiet - rooms aren't very soundproof, but not a lot of traffic in and out. We were right next to the elevator and got a little noise from that. Breakfast was good - eggs, sausage patties, waffles and the normal continental breakfast stuff. Pretty easy to get in and of the hotel - right on Hwy 17.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Leah_SC
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Well....I stayed in room 431 and I have to say...the bed was the best I have ever slept in in a hotel/motel. I like a softer bed...this was not the best but close! Its about 10 minutes from the old city so that was fine. the parking could be an issue as I have read but we got in at about 9 PM on a Friday night and there was about 20 left.
The free breakfast was the standard....so its ok.
Yes we would stay again!
I gave it a 5 due to the bed being great. That was worth 40.00 extra right there!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KimHar2016
Reviewed April 11, 2013

If I could sum up Mrs. Charlene and Mrs. Laura at Customer Service here, I would say AWESOME. Business travels and hotel stays aren't always pleasurable, but I was taken aback by the industrious service these women provided. Rather 6am or 6pm, their attitudes are consistent!!!! All smiles and eager to assist(which comes in handy after a lengthy days work in which I found myself in the elevator attempting to elevate to the 1st floor:) Long story short, lots of energy is exerted into voicing poor experiences. I like to give praise when praise is due!! As Mrs. Charlene stated as I thanked her: it doesn't take much to be kind, as she smiled!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jamis0nD
ComfortSuitesWA, General Manager at Comfort Suites West of the Ashley, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

It is wonderful to hear that you had such a great stay here at the Comfort Suites. It is wonderful to hear such a fine compliment on our staff members Charlene and laura. I will make sure that you compliment is passed along to them. Again thank you for such a wonderful compliment.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here for the Cooper River Bridge Run weekend. First of all, the people at the front desk were the most helpful and nicest workers I have ever met. They were very accommodating, and the room was just as described. Although I had no issues with parking itself, I can see how parking can be a problem at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo