Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $28.00
from $20.00
from $25.00
1,358 results
All reviews domestic slave trade story boards actual building eye opening american history self guided tour african americans provost dungeon combo ticket on display south carolina charleston history history lesson artifacts information shackles traders
Selected filters
Reviewed July 27, 2019

Excellent .very informative. WE are to never forget this gruesome and horrific part of American history.

1  Thank badgersp1
Reviewed July 26, 2019 via mobile

Wow. Very well done. A somber educational experience for everyone. So much to be learned and the staff takes it very personal. A must when visiting Charleston. This completes the picture that is painted as you tour all the historical homes and gardens in the area.

Reviewed July 22, 2019

This Museum gives a small window into the atrocities of the slave trade and the greedy landowners and town officials who traded in these atrocities. It is said to be on the last remaining site of an actual slave auction site and has a lot of history crammed in to its very small size. A very interesting lady provided some of the historical introduction at the entry and was happy to answer questions subsequently. The entry fee is minimal and there is not a lot of historical items but I am guessing that it maybe struggles for financial backing. However it provides a very emotional glimpse of the horrors of the slave trade into and within the USA and this appalling part of the recent American history. May this never be repeated in any way, shape or form.

Reviewed July 18, 2019

Very moving and impactful to be where enslaved people were once sold and bartered. Profiles of people, pieces of equipment, photographs are arranged in the building. It's definitely worth seeing, especially combined with a visit to the Old Exchange.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed July 17, 2019

I gave it a 1 Star because it looked cool and sounds cool. My family of 4 (my kids are 11) walked in and the gentleman at the check-in desk was BEYOND RUDE! I felt like it was a racist punishment 2 seconds after walking in the building. My husband asked what building it was (as there are so many around this area) and he said, in an EXTREMELY condescending tone, that it was where humans were bought, sold and enslaved, a self guided tour, as he kind of smacked his lips, and cocked his head. We stood there for about 20 seconds, my husband said “It’s probably not very entertaining for the kids then?” And very snarky he said “Okay!” very egotistical!!! I was shocked, surprised, disappointed and disgusted! A huge part of history and we just left the place because of the prick behind the counter. I questioned why he was so rude and if he speaks to everyone like that, he said “no” and I said “just us?” His response was “you asked what this place was and I was telling you.” Very confused and irritated!! We aren’t from here, we are vacationing, so this was so disappointing, this was one of the top things my husband wanted to see. Because of his behavior, and the extremity of it......I’ve never pursued anything further but I’ll be calling the historical society, no one should be run off by someone acting that way! That was 100% unacceptable!

4  Thank Jane_Sands7