“History can be so sad...”

Old Slave Mart Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$28.00*
and up
Lost Stories of Black Charleston Walking Tour
Ranked #51 of 252 things to do in Charleston
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was very sad, no lies.
I'm glad I got to see this. It was very moving. I think everyone should see this.
I do wish the museum was a bit larger. Being a self passed, people seemed to run into each other.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,092)
All reviews
"sobering"
in 40 reviews
"graphic"

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This little museum deals with a key, if not THE key aspect of South Carolina history and is worthy of visitors' attention. The staff is excellent in giving an overview of the background of the domestic slave trade, and one curator went out of her way to share her personal history and perspective with me. This made the experience very special.
The museum has been nicely restored and has good educational displays, but I bet they'd love to have the budget to gain more artifacts. We all need to support this growing museum so they can continue to develop and attract donors and contributors.

1  Thank Cathy A
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I'd read some mixed reviews on this museum so went with the expectation that it would be mostly reading and not many artefacts. With this in mind I was not disappointed. I found it really interesting as it was a side of slavery that I'd never really known much about

2  Thank Claire B
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We visited this museum during museum mile weekend & was disappointed because there isn't that much to see. The museum is in the building where slaves were traded for several years; however, the inside of the museum doesn't relate to the building. The museum could be in any old building in Charleston as they didn't correlate the building with the museum; which is the sites significance. Also, there aren't many relics/antiques from the period, but its mainly reading articles on the walls that discuss slavery & trade in general. It's a nice museum, but needs more relics & correlation with the site as this is a very sad yet important part of US history.

1  Thank Bigmel02