“Disappointing”
Review of Middleton Place

Middleton Place
Ranked #24 of 250 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Middleton Place is an 18th century rice plantation and National Historic Landmark comprising 65 acres of America's oldest landscaped Gardens, the Middleton Place House Museum and the Plantation Stableyards. The Gardens reflect the elegant symmetry of 17th century European design. Sculpted terraces, parterres, and reflection pools inhabited by swans are highlights of their intricate design. Rare camellias bloom in the winter, while vibrant azaleas blanket the hillside above the Mill Pond in the spring.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I'm sure that the grey skies didn't help, but I was so disappointed in this plantation! We only had a day in Charleston and I had looked to see what was recommended as the best for a short stay. I felt that the guided tour was someone arid, stuck to the script with little in the way of supplementary knowledge. I was surprised that so little reference was made to the impact of slavery on the plantation, and although the gardens were pretty, they were not outstanding. I did enjoy looking at the peacocks, and the lakes are prettily landscaped, but it did not have the wow factor that I anticipated. I also believe that it was extremely expensive for what it was. I feel that our limited time would have been better spent in Charleston itself walking around the historic district.

Warren C, Public Relations Manager at Middleton Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are sorry your experience didn't meet your expectations. Although African-American slavery is not what is front-and-center in the Garden Tours, that history is the grounding of almost everything else, including in the Middleton Place Stableyards--where re-enactors portray the skills and trades of slaves--and in the Beyond the Fields exhibit in "Eliza's House"--a late 1800s freedman's cottage. I'm a little surprised you found the Gardens "not outstanding" because that goes contrary to the majority of the reviews of Middleton Place you will find on TripAdvisor, especially in the context of the camellias beginning to bloom, which began in early December, and continues into March.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,558)
All reviews
in 61 reviews
"full bloom"
in 71 reviews

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Most amazing gardens you will ever see along with a replication of a working plantation. Great gift shops, too.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We truly enjoyed our time there. The grounds and gardens are beautiful. My kids loved petting the horses and goats. They loved seeing sheep for the first time. We even saw an alligator. We didn't get to go in the house because it was too expensive, but everything we saw and experienced was fantastic.

1  Thank traci a
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I drove out to Middleton Place today and totally enjoyed our visit. It was an enlightening experience. We learned facts about plantation life that we never knew. We had no idea that the main crop of so many SC plantations was rice!

We toured the house and it was furnished with the same furnishings of that era. If you plan to go, be sure you go on the early side as some tours are only given a couple of times a day, with the last "garden overview" at 3 pm. Unfortunately we missed that. That's a free tour.

The grounds were lovely, very green, but VERY little color, a little disappointing, but we are still very glad we went.

1  Thank LosAngelino