“Historical Cemetery”
Review of Magnolia Cemetery

Magnolia Cemetery
Ranked #24 of 243 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Magnolia cemetery, a non-profit trust, is on the National Registry of Historic Places. Founded on the site of a rice plantation in 1850 during the "rural cemetery movement". It is the resting place of 6 Civil War Generals, soldiers and sailors, governors, signers of the ordinance of secession, mayors of Charleston, Lawyers, doctors and the list is endless. Open to the public seven days a week however the office is only open Monday through Friday. Open and closing times are posted as are rules and regulations at the entrance to the cemetery.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The winding paths, history and towering oaks makes this cemetery like no other. I have family buried here. The H.L.Hunley crew are now buried here. Worth a trip to see!

1  Thank Connie B
There are newer reviews for Magnolia Cemetery

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Loved this place. It was interesting walking around all of the grave sites. It's very old but very cool.
We were very surprised on what a great visit we had!

2  Thank yesdondon
Reviewed July 17, 2014

down a small alley that is beautifully landscaped we spent about 30 minutes walking around, it was right near everything like King street and Princess street If you have 30 minutes, check it out!

1  Thank Misonix
Reviewed July 15, 2014

It is pleasing to see all of the positive comments Magnolia Cemetery visitors make on tripadvisor. If you are there during the week be sure to stop by the office and take a look at my new book about the cemetery titled, "In the Arms of Angels: Magnolia Cemetery-Charleston's Treasure of History, Mystery and Artistry." It's a very detailed account with hundreds of color photographs about the many, many interesting things about this old Victorian cemetery! My book is also available at several Charleston-area book shops, historic site gift shops, Amazon.com, and by contacting me directly.

2  Thank Patrick H
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I visited Magnolia Cemetery during my July 2014 visit to Charleston, after purchasing Patrick Harwood's second book. Very beautiful and well-kept, and a fitting tribute to all of the souls in the Confederate section who gave their full measure during our nation's darkest days. Many wonderful photo opportunities there, and I have many memories of my visit. I also offered my prayers for their eternal rest, and concluded my visit with a sense of peace. When in Charleston, do not pass up the opportunity to visit Magnolia Cemetery.

3  Thank John R