“Haunting and beautiful”
Review of Magnolia Cemetery

Magnolia Cemetery
Ranked #32 of 245 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Magnolia cemetery, a non-profit trust, is on the National Registry of Historic Places. Founded on the site of a rice plantation in 1850 during the "rural cemetery movement". It is the resting place of 6 Civil War Generals, soldiers and sailors, governors, signers of the ordinance of secession, mayors of Charleston, Lawyers, doctors and the list is endless. Open to the public seven days a week however the office is only open Monday through Friday. Open and closing times are posted as are rules and regulations at the entrance to the cemetery.
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The gravestones were hauntingly beautiful. So different than what we see in the Midwest. Big family plots. Very old graves. Beautiful landscaping.

1  Thank LDO_12

Reviewed May 23, 2012

We were suprised the kids actually enjoyed this but it was fun history.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

One of my favorite places to tour in Charleston is Magnolia Cemetery. Why? Simple. Walking around the many grave sites, I learn so much about history, and how people many, many years ago, preserved the memories of those they loved. There are so many interesting, touching grave sites that I could spend the entire day there. The grave sites of the Hunley crew are not to be missed.

The cemetery takes you back in time. Another interesting grave site I recall was that of a precious little girl. If I recall, her name was Anne. I took photographs of her site, so it would take a bit of time to find them, but time spent at Magnolia Cemetery is truly inspiring and compelling. There is a beautiful view of a bridge there, along with other beautiful sites, trees, nature and so much more. I suppose I could continue listing some of my favorite things about Magnolia Cemetery, but I must say, every time I go, I take my camera and I always find additional grave sites that sometimes moves me to tears. The words written on the headstones. The deterioration of some of the sites hurts to see, but many of the graves are hundreds of years old. Did I mention there is not a charge to enter Magnolia Cemetery? Truly -- if you are a history buff, or you like to explore the paths of those who walked and lived many years before you did, you must take time to explore Magnolia Cemetery! It is beautiful!

5  Thank barbiepc
Reviewed April 30, 2012

If you are a cemetery buff, this is a good place to enjoy some history. Visiting the grave site of the three crews of the War Between the States submarine HUNLEY was very moving.

2  Thank Pat U
Reviewed April 29, 2012

All 3 Crews of the Hunley are buried together here. What a sad but inspiring part of our American history!

Also, the cemetary itself is a beautiful garden that feels like a walk back into the Old South.

2  Thank We3KingsWannaGo