Tripadvisor
Search
Tommy Dew's Walking History Tour
Review Highlights
Tommy Dew is the best!

Tommy is passionate about the history and culture of Charleston. The influence this city had on... read more

Reviewed January 4, 2020
Kevinthejogger
Excellent review of Charleston from the American Revolution to today.

Excellent discussion on Charleston history from the American Revolution to modern Charleston... read more

Reviewed October 26, 2019
michellemX3984DJ

Recommended experiences in and around Charleston
from $28.00
from $20.00
from $29.15
from $25.65
More Info
All reviews southern perspective civil war his knowledge two hours different perspective american revolution historic area great city meeting street downtown charleston southerners facts viewpoint rebirth yankee depth insight
Selected filters
Reviewed November 4, 2018

This tour guide lives here and breathes Charleston. His understanding of history was very in depth and held everyone ( 20 person max ) on edge. He gives another prospective of the Civil War, something you do not get from politically correct education these days. Keep your mind open...

Date of experience: November 2018
Reviewed November 3, 2018 via mobile

We took the tour with a group of 18 of us who were in Charleston as part of a retreat for work. The two hours went by quickly. I found it interesting to read others reviews. While I can see where some people found him to be “biased “ I found his perspective to be interesting. His life experience is very different from mine so I would expect him to have a different perspective. I found it enlightening. He was very professional. I would recommend his tour.

Reviewed October 23, 2018

On October 20, 2018 I participated in Mr. Dew’s 2-hour walking tour of Charleston, S.C. I am a well-seasoned traveler and have been on many tours. I believe that everyone is entitled to be passionate about their opinions. I do not believe that when I am paying to be given a tour of a town that I should be lectured on how the Civil War was a criminal atrocity to the South which they will never forget, that history is wrong, that the North now only thinks and acts with malice towards the South, that slavery was economically correct for the South and many other wrongdoings of the Union then, and the Federal government and the North now. I always welcome civil discourse on differing opinions but this was a one-sided angry dissertation with questionable facts. When I relate with other people I treat them all the same regardless of race, religion, sex and place of origin and I expect them to do the same. I would recommend that unless you want a lecture on one man’s opinion of the Civil War and the North’s atrocities, then and now, stay away from this tour.

7  Thank Hossenfeffer2
Reviewed October 18, 2018

We were visiting friends who live part time in Charleston and they suggested a walking tour. We chose Tommy Dew's based on a recommendation from a mutual friend who had taken it last year. He is an excellent tour guide who imparts lots of interesting information about the history of Charleston. While I cannot evaluate his theories about why Charleston has remained so perfectly preserved, I do think that they are all plausible and very thought provoking. He has an excellent sense of humor and as the weather was abnormally warm for October, worked to keep us in the shade when we stopped to see specific sites. I highly recommend this tour!

Reviewed October 18, 2018

On Monday (10/16) my wife and I took the Tommy D Walking tour. It was OUTSTANDING. It exceeded any expectations we may have had. Unlike many (most) tours, Tommy gives you the 'WHY' behind why Charleston is Charleston and the SOUTH is the SOUTH. Many tours point out structures and give dates, Tommy explains the socio-economic/political reasons that triggered what was built and puts it into context with respect to what was transpiring around America/the World.
Tommy is a master story teller. His knowledge is only exceeded by his passion for his subject which is delivered in a very deliberate, easy...southern style. We highly recommend his tour. Do yourself a favor and go back in time...'sit a spell' and let Tommy weave his magic. Thanks Tommy!