“A different perspective on history!”

Tommy Dew's Walking History Tour
Ranked #50 of 233 Tours in Charleston
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Tommy is a passionate historian of Charleston. His knowledge is remarkable whether discussing the confederate positions during the civil war, the architecture of 200 and 300 yr old homes or the founding citizens of Charleston. The tour is a little more than two hours, depending on the level of your curiosity. It is a healthy but not strenuous walk. The cobblestones demand a good walking shoe. I would take his tour again as there is no way to absorb all that Tommy can share.

4  Thank WARDENGta

Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you are looking for a "standard" cookie cutter historical tour, this one is definitely not that. The positives are that during about half the tour Tommy does a good job walking you back in time and giving you a feel for what was really going on in Charleton through its different historical eras. Where Tommy really falls off the mark is that the other half o the time,he spent talking about himself, his church, details of his church's choir practice, and his friends accomplishments in modern Charleston. For me, had I known he was going to spend so much time about himself, I would have passed on this tour. Just beware, you are going to get some boorish details about himself and his friends that I think would be better left out.. I also think he has a very distorted point of view concerning slavery. Yes, he acknowledgeas that slavery was wrong and immoral, while also conveying it was acceptable and really not that bad. Arguably, slavery is the darkest part of this country's heritage, and absolutely nothing to downplay or to try to reduce its inherent ugly evil. I sort of got the end of the tour with a sleazy feeling that I would rather have not had. I hope he cleans his tour up a little, but I am afraid he is so enamored with himself and his perspective, my guess it it will continue downhill.

10  Thank ThomosH
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our tour included only a few sites of downtown Charleston. We spent most of the $25 two hour tour hearing Tommy's biased opinions of the deep south. He was quite self-absorbed - telling us about his connections with Charleston society and plugging his well-to-do friends' books and pointing out his wife's friend's "sick pad" at the top of one of Charleston's tallest buildings. At the end, I was wondering what did I really learn about what I had seen? Nothing! He was often rude and condescending. If you want to learn about Charleston and the history of downtown- go elsewhere!

7  Thank frequenttraveler749
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Tommy Dew leads a walking tour around the old historical district. I think he tailors his tours to factors such as it being the Sesquintennnial (150 yrs after Civil War). He managed to put history of War and of Charleston in perspective and, for me, put the pieces together. This was so much more than walking around looking at old buildings! Cannot recommend too highly!

3  Thank Scoot C
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Interested in the Civil War? Tommy Dew is just the person to see in Charleston. We are Northerners, but were fascinated in the Southern view of the war between the states. History comes alive when you take this tour.

2  Thank WoodyB