“Love those Cadets”
Review of The Citadel

The Citadel
Ranked #14 of 246 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: A historic military college best known for its Moorish-inspired architecture.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

After seeing the condition these cadets live in and the discipline they exercise to go to a prestigious school like the Citadel, our country is in good hands. Campus is very pretty with the trees surrounding the parade grounds. Sparse and unlike any other college campus I have been on, but the cadets make this place as special as it is. if you doubt America's youth, walk this campus for a few hours and engage in conversation with these wonderful young men and women, many of who will serve their country and you will have a different perspective on the next generation.

1  Thank wallpa

Reviewed February 17, 2014

My group of students and I attended the Parade on Friday afternoon on the grounds of the Citadel, something that is done every Friday the school is in session. It is a pass in review of all the cadet units on the parade field. There are viewing stands to be seated or you can watch on the sides as we did - it was chilly while we are there but the trees would provide cool shade in not weather. They have a marching group of bagpipers and a row of cannons that are fired. Wonderful pageantry and ceremony!

Check out the huge bronze Citadel class ring on the edge of this area. A great photo op.

1  Thank 84Hokie
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Had always heard about the Citadel with its dedication to turning out well educated, well disciplined, military leaders.

So my wife and I walked from downtown to see the campus and take in the history.

Granted, it was clean and the young men at the gates were what one would expect at a school whose focus is decidedly military in nature.

We went through the museum on campus and walked around a wee bit. I kind of thought, ok, but certainly not what one sees at West Point, the Naval Academy or the Air Force Academy. In fact, the campus was a little bit depressing without having any real architecturally stimulating buildings or stunning locale.

Go if you must but spare those traveling with you if the question is, "Must I go?"

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My traveling companion and I were fortunate to be available to attend the Homecoming presentation of the entire student body on the parade grounds during our visit. It is certainly worth a stop to see the precision and pageantry of this presentation by the students at this military college. Parking was free and manageable within a couple blocks of the campus.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had a buddy that graduated from there. he gave me a tour and the history. amazing college its a bulit like fort. a must see when in charleston.

1  Thank JC704NC