“Only one drawback”

and up
Charleston Chefs' Kitchen Tour
Ranked #20 of 244 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Top quality black car services for executives, luxury resorts and hotels, select weddings and events. Group transportation, trip planning and airport transfers.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were looking for a tour of Charleston and figured we would go where you should, the Visitor center. One needs to do it fast, because it cost to park here to check it out, the first half hour is free, but this place is huge and everyone stops here. So we decided to park here and venture out on our own. Glad we did, what a beautiful town, the history, atmosphere and variety of places and things to see within walking distance of the Visitor Center. We had a great time and experienced Charleston as it should be, on foot. Breath taking views and places. Can't wait to visit again.

1  Thank jax405

Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was one case when I was extremely glad I had read Tripadvisor before heading to Charleston. I had heard to make sure that I was going to the REAL visitors center since I had heard that there would be signs saying "Charleston Visitors Center" that would only be a place that when you go in, they try to get you to do a tour for a Time Share. I was thinking they might have a small sign in a window, but we had plugged in the REAL address to the GPS and when coming in to town, my husband says, "it looks like the gps is confused since there is a sign telling us to go left". It was a VERY VERY official looking sign so I don't know how they get away with doing that. I told him to ignore the sign and stick with the gps. Sure enough, further down the road, we found the REAL one. I see below that there are some people that are very disappointed in the visitors center but I also fear that they went to one of these bogus locations, so do check your address when coming. You want 375 Meeting Street. In the gift shop, they have a great 36 minute movie to acquaint you with Charleston. It is $2. for admission, but I found a lot of good information in it that will help you with getting started. This Visitors Center also has brochures, displays of various things to just wander through and is actually quite large compared to so many visitors centers in our country. They have a counter that had a long line for people with questions and wanting to make reservations. You can also take one of three routes on the FREE trolley from here. The parking lot offers your first 1/2 hour free and after that, there is a small fee based on how long you stay. Again, I think this is a great stop to get you started on how to make the most of your time and to give you a little history of the area. Enjoy!

7  Thank tdtid
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We thought we were starting here, based on the reviews on TA. Where we actually started was at a timeshare sales "welcome center" that is just across from the actual Vistor's Center. Don't make that mistake!

The "movie" at the center is only $2, and a nice intro to the history of Charleston. The ticket "agents" were very helpful in helping us determine whether we wanted to get combo tickets or not. And this was the only place that I found a brochure for "Museum Mile".

1  Thank scrapsuzy
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I'm glad we stopped here first. While we had done our research before arriving in Charleston, it is always great to get some firsthand information about a City. We picked up lots of brochures, got great suggestions about eateries, and even RSVP'd for a tour the next day. Stop there first, you won't regret it.

1  Thank Travelin10ACgurl
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have visited Charleston many times, but still often stop at the Visitor's Center. They have a large selection of brochures on lodging, dining, shopping, and attractions. You can also pick up a free map of the downtown area. This is a great place to buy tickets (at a discount) for area attractions. We saved $8 on each SC Aquarium ticket we purchased here. If you have any questions about Charleston, the staff are friendly and helpful. Many tours leave from the Visitor's Center so you can buy your tickets, grab a cold bottle of water from the gift shop, and begin your tour.

2  Thank love2bncharleston