“walking tour” 4 of 5 bubbles

Inman, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“walking tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

the tour was quite informative. I learned things about Charleston but to say it was scary it was not.

Long Island,New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Why do people go??”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Tedious tour guide and no one ever got the real spirit of fun this was supposed to be. The guide was doing it by rote, Maybe I am just too cynical.

Visited August 2012
St. Louis, MO
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Enough - Not Amazing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My partner and I try and do ghost tours whenever possible when we travel. Being the fact that Charleston is one of the most haunted places in the United States, we had make sure we took one during our visit to the area. We choose Tour Charleston based on the fact that they were the only touring company which took you inside a graveyard at night – because who isn’t creeped out by that!

We took the Ghosts of Charleston Walking Tour (the original one). We both really liked that fact that our group was small (we seen other tours with 1 guide to 25+ people) and really enjoyed walking around the city at night (it is a great city for a walking tour). Our guide (I wish I could remember his name, but he was an older gentleman who does it once or twice a week he said) was very nice and seemed to know what he was talking about – but slightly off in his presentation it seemed.

We heard stories of soliders from the civil war haunting local inns and bed and breakfasts, the United States first woman serial killer (lived and buried in Charleston), and many others. We also did get to walk through an old cemetery at night and heard about a few of it's residents... After trying to refresh myself with some details after the tour, we noticed that what people consider to be the most haunted place in Charleston (The Dock Street Theatre) was not covered on our tour –not to mention a few of the other places they stated on the website (like the Old Cooper River Bridge or Provost Dungeon). This was a bit disappointing in our eyes as they specifically list those places.

So we cannot compare it to other ghost tours in the area, because this is the only one we have done in Charleston. Compared to others we have taken in different cities, it was nothing special. It was good, we enjoyed the night walking the area on the amazing fall weather, and the tour guide was nice – but we were not amazed by it by any means.

Also, a good peice of advice (strange, but good) is make sure to go to the bathroom before getting to the area where you meet for the tour. At that time / location there are no public restrooms open and you have to take quite a trek to find one to use.

Visited September 2012
Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Storytelling and walking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We took the last tour of the evening, 9:30 pm. We met our guide on time at the fountain at Waterfront Park. I won't tell you whether we saw ghosts or not, but our guide was good at telling the various local ghost stories. He basically walked us around town, stopping at certain locations to tell us a story relevant to that spot. He knew a lot of "back ways" and short cuts around town which was helpful and scenic. He also answered other questions we had about Charleston. One of our last stops was a tour through the Unitarian Cemetary (not your typical Cemetary). We had one flashlight for our group. There were no street lights in there, and the Cemetary is quite lush with vegetation which added to the spookiness. Our family of two adults and one 12 year old had a good time.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank Tenngal1970
Peachtree City, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Maybe I expected too much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

After having been on some really great ghost tours in London & Old Town Alexandria, maybe I just expected too much from this ghost tour.

We were the only ones who signed up for this tour on the night we went, so maybe that affected our experience, too. I know that speaking to a group vs speaking to just two people has a different dynamic, so I'll give our guide that. We had no problem with our guide, as far as his personality. But the tour was just so-so. The best part was the reason I chose this tour to begin with... being able to go into the Unitarian graveyard at night. It is a creepy enough place during the day, but at night it takes it to a whole 'nother level.

I've spoken to a few friends who have taken more than one ghost tour in Charleston and been told that none of them are great, but most of them are okay. So I guess if you just don't go into it with very high expectations, you will be fine and enjoy the tour.

Visited September 2012