“Excellent Campground close to the city”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
James Island County Park Campground & Cottages
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This was a great campground that is close to city area. The prices were at a good and affordable rate. The bathhouses were clean (and eco-friendly). We wished that we had more time to explore the county park since it seems there was a lot to do on the property. There is enough privacy and they didn't have annoying people/families that were staying there (at least in the electric/water sites).

Definitely would recommend to other who want to camp at a non-KOA place.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeremyesmith

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We visited this park twice, once to tent camp and once we stayed in a cottage for a week. The paved trails are great for biking, walking, or roller blading and the location can't be beat. We were close to everything! I would not recommend staying in a cottage unless you like to clean on your vacation. Ours was old and outdated...more like a rustic cabin on stilts. It looked like it hadn't had a deep cleaning in forever. Luckily, we weren't in the cabin a lot. It wasn't a place we wanted to lounge around in.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Summer505
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights. Great grounds, amenities and campsites. Close to all Charleston attractions. Restroom facilities were terrible the entire stay. Looked like they were never cleaned, dirty and lots of mold. Did speak to management as this is overall a park we would want stay at again when coming through.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank DJ V
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We only camped for 1 night but were very happy with the location (short drive to beach and restaurants), cleanliness of bathrooms (showers), and amenities available including fishing sites and bike/walking paths. Staff were friendly too!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I tent camped in the primitive area for two nights earlier this month and found no problems with the overall park or the site. Everything was well maintained. The walk to the parking lot, showers, and office building from the primitive camping field was short. A drive into Downtown Charleston is only about 15 minutes, which is what I was aiming for in my trip. In hindsight, the only thing I wish was that there had been more privacy from other campers in the primitive campground, such as more trees planted throughout the open field. Other than this, a perfect couple of nights!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Amber_ZTA
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Come in on George L. Griffith Blvd off of Folly road by Wallmart. The trees on the other roads are starting to overgrow the road and they may cause damage to your roof. Campground is friendly and excellent. Make sure to tell them the size of your rig. Enjoy the park and Charleston...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Douglas B
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was hosting the annual reunion for my college group, five including me, coming from all over the country. I have a small house in downtown Charleston which would not accommodate all of us and I needed to find a place for us to stay. I have a Gold Pass to the JICP, walk there every day and had seen the cottages and always wanted to stay there. I booked three nights for our group. These ladies are very demanding world travelers and they were thrilled with the cottage. All of them live in or near large cities, so the peaceful atmosphere and view from the screen porch was greatly appreciated. The cottage was so well furnished that I didn't need to bring anything from my house, and we loved having a leisurely breakfast on the porch and watching the birds. I would like to book a stay for my husband and me; next time we want a change of pace from life downtown, we won't have to go far.

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage with a full water view