“Wonderful stay for reunion with college friends” 5 of 5 stars
Review of James Island County Park Campground & Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
James Island County Park Campground & Cottages
You added James Island County Park Campground & Cottages to your Saves list
Charleston, SC
“Wonderful stay for reunion with college friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was hosting the annual reunion for my college group, five including me, coming from all over the country. I have a small house in downtown Charleston which would not accommodate all of us and I needed to find a place for us to stay. I have a Gold Pass to the JICP, walk there every day and had seen the cottages and always wanted to stay there. I booked three nights for our group. These ladies are very demanding world travelers and they were thrilled with the cottage. All of them live in or near large cities, so the peaceful atmosphere and view from the screen porch was greatly appreciated. The cottage was so well furnished that I didn't need to bring anything from my house, and we loved having a leisurely breakfast on the porch and watching the birds. I would like to book a stay for my husband and me; next time we want a change of pace from life downtown, we won't have to go far.

Room Tip: Ask for a cottage with a full water view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank skipmiss1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

What a great campground with SOOO much to do. The teens LOVED the rock climbing wall and disc frisbee. Loved all the trails - great for running and biking. Very, Very clean bathrooms and campsite. Loved the proximity to everything. We were right next to the bathrooms and a club house which had ping pong, TV's lots of tables and chairs - which we took advantage of because of weather. We just loved everything about the campsite. Unfortunately, a massive storm came in and when we got back to our tent at 9pm, we were flooded out and had to break down camp quickly and leave sooner than hoped, but we had so much fun that didn't even dampen our spirits and we can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: We had a tent, so we loved being right next to the bathrooms/showers. If we had a camper w/ a bathr...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank DebVW
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Let me first say that Charleston has become my(and my families) favorite areas to visit. We love the downtown historic area, beaches(folley)and the harbor. I grew up camping and camp often with my wife and 4 children. This was our first time camping at James Island campground and I guarantee we will be coming again. There is so much to do in this park: rock climbing, kayaking, water park, great trails etc etc etc. I recommend bringing bikes because they have great paved trails all through the 650 acre park. I usually don't like to visit the same place twice because I like to visit new areas but this park and Charleston are the exception. If you have never been to Charleston you don't know what your missing. If you camp at this park, you will not be disappointed(especially if you have kids). Other things I highly recommend doing while in Charleston: USS Yorktown at Patriots Point, Carriage tour of historic area, The parade at the Citadel, Folley Beach, Fort Sumpter, Walk the bridge, visit a plantation(we went to Middleton Place & loved it), shopping on King St. I know I've said it already but the historic area of downtown Charleston is spectacular. We are hoping to visit this park during one of their upcoming events.

Room Tip: All sites seemed very roomy and nice. Take what you can get, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Don B
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Just found this by Googling where to camp around Charleston. It is a beautiful place and this time of year not too busy. Very easy to get big rigs in. Great water pressure. Ok Wifi sometimes. Many activities would be available in warmer weather. Great place for kids. So convenient to the attractions. Would stop here again if in the area and reasonably priced.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Winterrvtraveler
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Well located between Charleston and Folly Beach, but well off the main roads so quiet and peaceful. Sites are sand, dirt and grass and it had rained heavily the previous 2 days before our arrival, so some mud. Many sites are large and separated from neighboring sites be space and threes/shrubs. Pull-thrus and back-ins available. Bathrooms are large and clean. Laundry facilities available. We basically like state and county parks much better and most commercial parks. This is a good choice. If you like oysters on the half shell, go to happy hour at Salty Waters next door to the nearby Publix.

Room Tip: Close to both Charleston and Folly Beach
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank TravelBillNC
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Went looking for a place cheap with a good location because still in college and broke. Wow was I glad I found this park. Yes the RV camping looks great, but for a tent camper, this place was paradise! Clean hot showers, laundry facilities, boat rentals, fishing, great trails....650 acres, all 10 minutes from Charleston or Folly Beach. They even have a climbing wall! Too many amenities to list here, just go to their website. I didn't want to rough it on this trip, and to find such a gem so close to everything in Charleston that you can pitch a tent at was great. There is a super center down the road that you can stock up on provisions on before you get there, the general store has necessities but as usual is overpriced. Saw alligators in the freshwater ponds, caught fish and crabs in the marsh. Looked like a great place for kids and pets too. Really doesn't get any better than this for tent camping anywhere close to the area. I went in the spring and reverved a site a month in advance. I imagine it fills up pretty quick during the rest of the year. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Member605
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

From the campground to the dog park to the biking,walking and jogging trails, this place has it all. We will be back....often! The staff really are as nice as everyone says. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer. Everyone at the campground respected each other. It was clean, quiet and very peaceful. Our dogs loved the dog park. It was great to let them run and swim with a pack of friendly dogs. We did hear that someone reported seeing an alligator the day before!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank D S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
Town & Country Inn and Suites
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,162 reviews
SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Hampton Inn & Suites Charleston /  West Ashley

Been to James Island County Park Campground & Cottages? Share your experiences!