“Morris Island Experience”

Absolute Reel Screamer Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: This private 2 hour boat adventure is what Charleston is really all about! I'm a native captain, so we'll glide through the uncrowded backwaters of the most pristine estuaries in the country. We'll learn to harvest oysters, catch shrimp and identify local shore birds. Next, we'll find the Bottlenose Dolphins. Having them swim next to the boat is exciting, but if we find them feeding in the shallows it's spectacular! Our next destination is Morris Island where I'll teach you about its rich Civil War history as well as my own family ties to it. We'll then walk its shores looking for shells and artifacts as the sixth oldest lighthouse in the nation serves as our backdrop! So as you can see we have something for everybody on this trip. The dolphins are always here, the beach is loaded with shells, and if you listen hard enough you just may hear the roar of cannons from the past. So come on and join me! You never know what washed up the night before...
Reviewed June 24, 2013

What an amazing morning! Morris Island is a must see and getting there with Absolute Reel Screamer Charters is the way to get there! We booked a 2-hour charter with Captain Gresh for Morris Island. This excursion was one of the highlights of our vacation! Captain Gresh had a clean, well maintained boat, knew amazing facts about the area, and even helped up hunt for that perfect shell! We not only found beautiful shells, but found a piece of old pottery, petrified wood, and my personal highlight was seeing a shark that I got a great photo of. Also, on the way to and from Morris Island, we saw several dolphins!! We highly recommend this excursion! The only regret I have is that I forgot to take a picture of Captain Gresh and his boat for our scrapbook.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I'm a local lass, but now live in London. Am home this week visiting my children and grandsons, and we've been enjoying being a tourist in our own backyard. I was looking for something a bit different to do with my daughter and her sons who are ages 14 and 12 (twins), so booked this trip. It was by far one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Cap'n Gresh was absolutely WONDERFUL with the boys - he didn't dumb things down, but he didn't go overboard with technicalities, either. He really captured (and held!) their attention and they loved it. So did my daughter and I.

We saw dolphins swimming right next to our boat; saw osprey and egrets - and even a mink! He told us all about the eco-system and explained the importance of the marsh....and so much more. And as if that wasn't enough, the 5 of us got to spend an hour shelling and exploring Morris Island on our own. How awesome is that?! We also learned about the history of Morris Island and the lighthouse itself.

I highly recommend this tour, especially if you're looking for something that is unique, educational, and enjoyable - and gives you an up close and personal encounter with the beauty and splendor of Charleston. It is a PRIVATE tour so it's just you, the boat, and the captain. You must do this tour!

TOP TIPS:
1. Bring along a bag of some type for collecting shells and artifacts.
2. Don't forget your camera!
3. Wear thick-soled flip flops or Crocs or tennis shoes for walking along the beach on Morris Island
4. After you park up at Crosby's, just walk through the gate to the right of the store, which will lead you out to the dock.

1  Thank TLDenise
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I didn't plan our long weekend in Charleston as well as I usually plan our trips, but I DID make a reservation with Absolute Reel Screamer Charters. We ended up taking a carriage ride that was just okay, a ghost walk that was not so great.... but I was redeemed in the eyes of my teenagers when we got on the boat with Captain Gresh for our tour!! Captain Gresh is super-friendly and likeable & the tour is SO fun. We all enjoyed our time on the boat, the dolphins we saw, and all of the things we learned from Gresh while we were on this tour. Our time on Morris Island was very fun. Be sure to bring something to collect shells in -- we found sand dollars, TONS of conch shells & a fossilized shark vertebrae! I would also like to add that we are generally *not* beach people, and don't last long when we go to places like Folly Beach -- even though they are beautiful beaches, they are crowded & we get hot & bored. This was NOT the case with this tour -- there was a beautiful breeze, the island was not crowded, and everyone was busy wandering around and seeing what they could find. Our time there went by really fast. This is easily in the top 5 best things we've ever done on vacation anywhere & it is the first thing I would book if we were going to return to Charleston for another visit. Well worth the money!!

1  Thank momof3qts
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great trip with Captain Gresh! It was a great little day adventure! You learn a lot of interesting history about Morris Island and the life above and beyond the sea! So cool!

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Gresham is so knowledgeable about the history of the island that he provides insightful and interesting dialogie that does not detract from the enjoyment of the scenery. He gave us an hour and a half to dicover the island and told us what to look for so that we could take a piece of history back with us. Best part of our vacation!

1  Thank Eubysis