Tripadvisor
Charleston

“You’re one of the Family”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Ranked #2 of 1,008 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We haven’t been here in four years but it’s as good or better. We were greeted by Billy Hall who welcomed us back “home”. He checked on us twice during our meal and was genuinely concerned about our experience. No real need, the food was fantastic. There’s was live jazz music playing and the place was jammin’. It doesn’t get better and we’ve been everywhere. This is the best part of Charleston. Don’t miss it!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (6,098)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great steak. Very old school vibe. Service was solid. Order the corn. I know it sounds crazy but trust me. Unbelievable

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I planned a New Years Eve getaway to Charleston, SC. When we were planning our trip approximately four months prior our hotel recommended Halls Chophouse as an excellent place to enjoy a romantic and festive New Year's Eve dinner. We were not disappointed. Our severs (Chris & Kayla) were warm, friendly, professional, and their menu offered all of the surf, turf, salads, and sides one would want at a top tier steakhouse. They had live music in the downstairs bar area, and a romantic expanse of tables upstairs. Many members of the staff wore sequin blazers and festive New Year's Eve hats and seemed to be having as much fun as the patrons. We highly recommend this spot for a satisfying meal and top notch restaurant experience.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Incredible food, service, atmosphere, etc.! Halls has one of the best steaks you’ll ever eat. We ate here during restaurant week so it wasn’t as expensive (be sure to bring your wallet otherwise). The steak has a crust on it that is so good! It isn’t burnt tasting, it isn’t charred, it is perfection. Be sure to try the collard greens and macaroni and cheese - best my wife and I have ever had!! Mac n cheese is baked so it has a crust like sprinkle on top that gives it texture. The pepper jack creamed corn is phenomenal as well! We will most certainly be back here. Definitely come here when celebrating a special occasion. Our waitress and waiter gave us two free glasses of champagne .

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The owner was front and center shaking hands and asking if we were celebrating a special occasion. Myself, my daughter, and my sons girlfriend were there for dinner before we went to pick my son up from the airport after his deployment. The owner thanked us for his service and told us to let him know if we needed anything. The Restaurant Week menu was amazing and we had an amazing meal. My daughter and I had the Shea Crab Soup as our appetizer while my sons girlfriend had the salad, all of it was delicious. For our entree, the girls had the file mignon and I had the blackened Scottish Salmon which was all amazing. For dessert the girls had the brownie with ice cream and I had the cheesecake. The owner brought us the famous bread pudding on the house for my sons service. It was a lovely experience. If I had one observation it would be that it was very loud upstairs where we were seated to eat, but then again our reservations were for 8:30 and people were enjoying all the delicious libations. Speaking of which, my daughter had what she called “the best spicy jalapeño margarita EVER” I will recommend this restaurant to everyone headed to Charleston for sure!