“Amazing meal with a dose of southern hospitality”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 932 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife and I dined at Hall's during a recent Charleston vacation for anniversary celebration. Upon entering we were greeted by Billy who quickly welcomed us into the restaurant and quickly whisked us away to the host stand. We were quickly taken upstairs to a large booth which was roomy yet private. The ambiance in the restaurant was great from the lighting, decor, & live jazz band downstairs.

We ordered a bottle of wine to start along with the Tuna tartar appetizer. The pace of the service was relaxed yet prompt which was perfect for the occasion. We were shown a dry & wet aged steaks display and the server was very knowledgeable about the different cuts available.

I ordered the 16oz ribeye and my wife ordered the petite 8oz filet which were cooked to a perfect medium rare & medium respectively. We also ordered a side of mushrooms which was plenty big for sharing. I have dined at many steakhouses and this was right up there from a quality, flavor, cook perspective.

For desert we chose the caramel cake which was smothering a bananas foster topping. Superb ending to this meal. It was an overall great dining experience and I would definitely be back when visiting Charleston again.

Thanks again for a wonderful experience.

There are newer reviews for Halls Chophouse

Reviewed July 28, 2014

It was our first time at the restaurant, and we were greeted by the owner. We were told by a taxi driver that the owner was at the restaurant every night greeting his guests. What a nice touch! All staff members were friendly and attentive. We did not have to wait long. Food was fabulous. Try their fried green tomatoes for appetizer and caramel banana cream cake for dessert. Meat was excellent as well. We will definitely come back when we are in town.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Very good. Not great.

Their best compliment is their friendly welcoming. We felt immediately at home. The waitress was helpful and suggested we split sides down to half portions because we wanted to try so many different ones (we split four half portions and enjoyed it! -- Mac N Cheese probably beat out the skillet corn)

My chief complaint was the steaks were not cooked to proper temp that we ordered. They wanted us to check and would have gladly taken back, but that's not the point. They are supposed to be a premier steakhouse and it shouldn't ever happen. (I eat a lot of steaks in a lot of cities, so it's not us being too picky).

1  Thank rdsTN
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband and I have dinner here each time we come to Charleston now. We were here on New Year’s Eve. I was so disappointed; I had gotten the flu but was feeling better. I am a vegetarian, my husband is not. Halls has a great mushroom risotto. I was really looking forward to this dinner. My husband did ask me several times if I wanted him to cancel the reservations but I assured him that I would be ok. Well as I am sure you guessed, I was not ok. The mushroom risotto looked so amazing but I couldn't eat more than two bites!!! I felt so bad. This of course had nothing to do with Halls or their service at all. All that was great. My husband had the lamb chops and it's all he has talked about until we came back down.

We planned to have dinner on July 25th the day before we left Charleston. My husband was so excited about those lamb chops (he has had them here in VA; however the restaurant we had them at didn't do them justice at all). I was doubly happy as there was no flu this time!! When we got there, I noticed that my favorite dish was NOT on the menu, no mushroom risotto!!!! It had been replaced with a new vegetarian dish. It consists of 5 of the side items. You can pick or you can let the chef pick. The best part of this, we asked about the mushroom risotto and it was still something that the chef was willing to make as a full dish for me or just as one of the sides.

Yes, this just might be what a restaurant will do, but we all know that this doesn't happen often. The service was exceptional as always. Billy Hall is usually always downstairs as you are leaving to say Thank You and make sure everything was ok. When we left we didn't see him, however as we walked out, he came running up to check on us. He takes so much pride in his business and it shows.

This is why we will continue to come here each time we visit. We are planning to relocate to the Charleston area within the next year, once we do, this will be a place we will become regulars at.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I booked this restaurant online back in Scotland after reading the reviews. Didn't even do it justice, I feel myself gushing as am writing this, it was that good. We visited Halls Chophouse as part of our silver wedding trip to the states. We visited NYC, Savannah, NORA and San Francisco.

We took the train from Savannah to Charleston for the day on Palmetto train. Had a fab day watching the dolphins and visiting plantations and churches and soaking up atmosphere. We couldn't get a taxi to restaurant so had to walk, took ages. We apologised for being late but they were so lovely, it was about 100 degrees outside so they rushed over with water to our table. We had a lovely table upstairs, John the waiter was very welcoming and explained about the meats and portions etc. and owners son was over talking to us formerly Angus now Jim was his name, he was so nice. I had buffalo and risotto omg!!! it was absolutely delicious, one of my fave meals ever, tastiest leanest bit of meat and creamy risotto, hubby had Grouper fish which was delicious. After finding out about our wedding anniversary Angus brought us some glasses of fizz. John our waiter brought us a complimentary dessert which was yummy fruit compote thing. Angus's mother the owner came over and spoke to us and she was delightful, the whole experience was superb. We had to rush back for our train and they called a taxi and never arrived so again the owner came out to see what was happening and got another cab, amazing,,,,

I have never experienced such fantastic customer service anywhere 5 stars for food and service, If I could give more I would. Can I say a big thank you to all staff at Halls Chophouse who made our visit so special... I cannot say enough good things. A must visit!!!!!