“Everything that you expected in a top restaurant”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 946 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Reviewed June 8, 2014

As advertised.........owners met us at the door and walked us to the bar to make sure we had a seat while waiting for our table. They constantly checked in with us throughout the meal as well. The staff was friendly and very efficient. Food was excellent. This is a true steak restaurant. Would recommend to anyone coming to Charleston.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,797)

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Our second trip to Hall's, and it was fantastic!! The service is unmatched and every item we had from the menu was incredible. The filet was so unbelievably tender, it was the best I've ever had. Our server (Zach) was very good, and I hope to have his service the next time we dine.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

As much as I want to understand what makes this place one of the top rated restaurants in Charleston, I cannot. Truthfully, except for the fact that the steaks were decent, I would really struggle to understand why anyone would go at all irrespective of prices. Maybe it is a place to be seen?

We arrived on a Monday for an 8:00 P.M. reservation, but were not seated until 8:25. We were directed to the bar area which was jammed and crammed with people, tables, noise and everything else that is the opposite of relaxing. People eating at the bar tables had to put up with people right next to them and physically brushed up against the table. Not sure what is appealing about spending a lot of money to eat that way.

When finally seated upstairs; the aesthetics were not much better. Tables crammed together so tight, waiters and waitresses could barely get by and most folks had to inch sideways between the tables. In fact it did not surprise us when a waiter accidently clipped a patron in the head with the tray. He was incredibly apologetic, and there was no serious injury, but this must happen often given the logistics. As expected, in a jammed environment like this, the noise level was also very high.

The tables were also ridiculously small. The four of us (and the other tables as well) were seated at a table so small, the staff asked if they could remove the bread, otherwise the two appetizers we ordered wouldn’t fit on the table! (We did notice an additional smaller quieter dining room in the back; you might want to request it.)

The food was decent, the steak on par with Morton’s. A fried green tomato appetizer was good, but way over dressed. I like my dishes simple. The lobster mac and cheese was delicious.

We were way too stressed and felt too claustrophobic to order dessert. For this kind of money, I would think people would want a relaxing environment for fine dining, but that isn’t going to be found here.

4  Thank lubbock81
Reviewed June 7, 2014

After moving here from Texas, excellent steak is something that we were pretty familiar with. Charleston isn't known principally for steak - of course - and steak houses are relatively few.

Of the very few true steak houses in Charleston - Halls takes the cake. Allen Brothers dry aged steak done perfectly. What adds to the positive mix is the service that you get when you go. not only is the staff excellent and really vested in you having a great expereince, you are met at the front door, and as you leave by the Owners.

That's the real deal and what takes great to excellent. Excellent steak in Charleston - Halls, hands down. As for it's other competitor down town that will remain unnamed. Very good - but it's not on the same level.

2  Thank makeiteasy
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My spouse loves steak and I don't. So I didn't really mind when we didn't get reservations to Halls Chophouse during the busy Spoleto Festival. However we found an opportunity to drop in to the bar and go in as soon as the restaurant opened on our last day. It was well worth the visit.

The bar had ample variety of complimentary snacks (antipasto, sugared pecans, toasted almonds, cheeses) with original $10-$12 cocktails. I am very particular about cocktails and hate getting something less than my highest expectation. Both my spouse and I like the creativity and blended flavors.

Staff was welcoming and professional. We were seated and served as soon as the restaurant opened and were finishing as large tables filled with groups and smaller tables with couples. The wait staff brought by a display of prime steaks from Chicago and explained the selection in terms of marbling, buttery flavor, smoky taste, etc. (My spouse was drooling over the raw meat.). They had bison as a specialty item. I ordered a delicious chicken and we split a creamed corn side. We should have ordered a half-side to split as it was almost a gourmet mac and cheese sauce over whole corn kernels au gratin, really good and quite filling.

We had no time or room for dessert but the menu had offerings from berries and cream to chocolate delights.

The wine list was extensive but after cocktails only my spouse had a stout with this meat.

We will definitely dine at Halls Chophouse the next time we are in Charleston. It may become the first reservation we make.

1  Thank Eacoy