“Worth all the accolades”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 967 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My spouse loves steak and I don't. So I didn't really mind when we didn't get reservations to Halls Chophouse during the busy Spoleto Festival. However we found an opportunity to drop in to the bar and go in as soon as the restaurant opened on our last day. It was well worth the visit.

The bar had ample variety of complimentary snacks (antipasto, sugared pecans, toasted almonds, cheeses) with original $10-$12 cocktails. I am very particular about cocktails and hate getting something less than my highest expectation. Both my spouse and I like the creativity and blended flavors.

Staff was welcoming and professional. We were seated and served as soon as the restaurant opened and were finishing as large tables filled with groups and smaller tables with couples. The wait staff brought by a display of prime steaks from Chicago and explained the selection in terms of marbling, buttery flavor, smoky taste, etc. (My spouse was drooling over the raw meat.). They had bison as a specialty item. I ordered a delicious chicken and we split a creamed corn side. We should have ordered a half-side to split as it was almost a gourmet mac and cheese sauce over whole corn kernels au gratin, really good and quite filling.

We had no time or room for dessert but the menu had offerings from berries and cream to chocolate delights.

The wine list was extensive but after cocktails only my spouse had a stout with this meat.

We will definitely dine at Halls Chophouse the next time we are in Charleston. It may become the first reservation we make.

1  Thank Eacoy
Write a ReviewReviews (4,943)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Hall's helped make a wonderful birthday memory. Hall's is a special establishment - the decor and the layout are perfect. You can sit upstairs and have a quiet evening or sit downstairs by the bar and interact with others. It's set up so that if you are upstairs you can hear the live music from downstairs but not the bar crowd. The menu includes all types of steak - don't be afraid to ask to split the beef as some cuts are enormous. Add sauces, add sides and you can have several combinations.
The service is impeccable. We never had to wait for anything but at the same time no one was hovering. They comped us a dessert for my birthday and topped it off with free champagne. I can't imagine how it could have been better.
If only we could have found the valet. We were told to go to the back but there wasn't anyone to park … not sure we were in the right place. Ask for specific instructions before you go. All in all I would go back without hesitation.

1  Thank MAMEROO
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Can't say enough about how great this place is. The owners great you at the door and the service never stops. The food at dinner and Sunday brunch is EXCELLENT! Definitely worth the extra $$$!

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Wonderful food with EXCELLENT service! Much attention to details on orders taken and table settings. Had a group of 17 there for dinner may/2014. Only thing I would say about seating was that it was a little tight but there is a private room for larger groups. The food and service made me forget seating for sure, once settled! I spoke with the owner's brother when making the reservation - very laid back and happy. Met yet another brother (owner?) on the way out as he was at the door saying goodbye. Nice touch!

2  Thank JMatos3
Reviewed June 4, 2014

From New Orleans we have the best restaurant's around. But Hall's Chop House is definitely up there w/ the Best of the Best. The staff is wonderful, very special thanks to Sarah, our waitress, whom made the experience from start to finish a wonderful & memorable 35th Anniversary dinner. The steak was one of the best we have ever experienced. We were given Champagne as a surprise to toast our Anniversary. And a special note came to the house from Sarah. We sure do wish we lived closer to experience this hospitality again. Maybe for our 40th we'll be back... We did make on suggestion, Can you please open a restaurant in New Orleans...

1  Thank kurtnpam