“It was amazing”
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 947 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

This was a place I'm glad I ate at. From the owner to the guy who kept my water glass filled it was outstanding customer service. By the time I got home from my vacation my waitress had sent a thank you card to me. I was really impressed.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,850)

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The only negative (let's get it out of the way from the start) was the overhead air conditioning above our table which was very chilly - I had to have it adjusted several times). Having said that this was a very enjoyable USA style steak dining experience. Having been welcomed by the owner at the door and even though we did not have a reservation we were taken to our table where our waiter Josh took over and in his enthusiastic, chatty and informed style helped us make our dining choices. The service was excellent and a live band and singer made for a great atmosphere. The wine list is both extensive and expensive. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We had a really great meal. I had the NY Strip, 16oz, medium rare & my wife had the daily special Halibut. Our waitress was oustanding as well as all the service, BUT the food did not make as memorable an impression as I expected. The steak I had ($47) was comparable to any other expensive steakhouse (maybe not if you're willing to pay for the $80 steak, but who's got the budget for that!?). My wife said the Halibut ($38) was some of the best fish she'd had (although she didn't like the risotto or sauce on the side). While this is a very good restaraunt with oustanding service, its food may not meet your expectations. There's a reason it was voted "Best place to eat when someone else is paying." Was our meal worth the $144 tab? No, but we were on vacation trying to have a good time. My best advice is to just ask the locals (ask your waitress at another restaraunt) for recommendations on good places to eat.

1  Thank Andrew N
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I had a group dinner here (for 55 people) in March, 2014, and I have planned group dinners all over the US, and I must say, the service at Halls was absolutely amazing. The service was stellar, they were very responsive via email (and George even texted me just before we arrived to make sure everything was ok). The food, the price per person, the wine selections, the servers, the bartenders. I literally can not say one bad thing about this restaurant. I will come back to Charleston just to eat at Halls. They actually closed the restaurant for us to have this dinner, so I can go on and on, but I will say that this venue is stellar.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

My wife and I ate at Hall's Chop House to celebrate my 60th birthday, for the first time since moving here 3 years ago. We had heard so many good things about it. This was the very best steak I ever had and we especially appreciated the extra knowledge shared with us by our server, Jen T. She was truly outstanding; courteous, patient, and knowledgeable about all things she shared with us. I do think the restaurant is too pricey, but the steaks are superb and the hospitality exceptional.