“great but..” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halls Chophouse

Halls Chophouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Halls Chophouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 895 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: John St.
Description: Halls Chophouse is American-Fine Dining, serving prime steaks, Lowcountry and fresh seafood specialties in an energetic, visually striking environment. Complemented by signature desserts, an extensive wine list, a vibrant bar and innovative, rich decor true to old-world steakhouses, Halls Chophouse is the latest restaurant offering in the heart of Charleston's Upper King Street design and dining district. A traditional American steakhouse with superior service and a knowledgeable staff, Halls Chophouse offers a classic and comfortable dining experience that will entice our guests to visit and enjoy time after time. We offer 2 private dining rooms for groups of up to 32 guests each with audio visual capabilities.
philadelphia, pa
“great but..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

we had a lovely evening at Halls' Chop House, but to be rated top restaurant in Charleston.... well we had 2 or 3 better meals elsewhere. The steaks were delicious, the appetizer fabulous, however I thought the wine list was ridiculously high, yet were able to find a decent bottle on a different list and more reasonably priced. But here is the one problem with the place... I think there can come a time when the owners can be too hands on. Literally, shaking our hands a few times that night, coming from all directions. I think we met at least 3 members of the family and were greeted an exceedingly number of times. Like maybe 5 or 6... This was just a little weird.
And for that reason, I do not think we would go back, I think we would try another steak house.
By the way, loved the music playing and the location of the place was totally cool with lots of neat stores and galleries around.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank trust52

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Swoon-worthy.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

The service is excellent from start to finish. As soon as we walked in the door, we were welcomed by the hostess and owner(?) who greeted us so warmly I almost thought we must have met before. It was a weekend night and we didn't have a reservation but we were able to be seated immediately at the bar. Throughout the evening we were waited on and checked on by numerous staff members, each one helpful and sincere. At the beginning of the meal, when we were ordering our drinks, the drink server was telling us about the drink specials and I wasn't sure about one that sounded interesting, so she brought me a sample. I ended up ordering one as well. Everything we ordered that night was delicious, the fried green tomato appetizer, the mushroom risotto side, and the black truffle butter (a must, in my opinion). But the real highlights of the meal are the steaks. There were three of us, so we each got a different steak and tried all three. They were all excellent. The bison steak was a special that evening, and was a huge chunk of meat on a bed of risotto. The New York Strip was so silky smooth, it was in the lead as my favorite during most of the meal. The Dry Aged Ribeye was just phenomenal. The flavor was so strong and delicious. This was my first dry aged steak, but hopefully not last! If I go again, I will definitely order the Dry Aged New York Strip, hoping it's the best of both world's. This is an expensive place and definitely something I would reserve for special occasions, but it is worth every dollar!

• Visited November 2013
Volcano, California
“Much is expected...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

...of those to whom much is given. We chose this #1 ranked restaurant for our joint birthday celebration knowing that it would be expensive, but looking forward to a very memorable meal. We came away disappointed. First, the good: We had reservations (as you must) and were immediately seated when we arrived. The service was world-class; the place is crawling with waitstaff. The wine list is quite good, and they have a full bar. Now the bad: We both ordered the restaurant week special, filet mignon. While flavorful and prepared to our taste, it was chewy. We had a far better filet at the Longhorn in Beaufort. The collard greens were superbly flavored, but served lukewarm. The worst: The place is overcrowded - they have jammed too many tables into the dining room. The result was that my chair was often bumped by waitstaff and customers trying to get through, and the noisy was fearsome. It was nearly impossible to talk to my wife, and I'd have to call this the noisiest restaurant in which we've ever eaten. We won't return.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rwwaugh
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great find in Charleston”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

On a recent trip to Charleston I had an opportunity to have brunch at Hall's Chop House. What a great find!!!!!!!! This family owned restaurant is on King Street in downtown Charleston and it was a delight. We met Billy Hall, the owner, who has been in the business for many years. His son is also involved in managing the business making it homey, warm and comfortable.

The occasion was the celebration of the first annual Medal of Honor Bowl and the Chop House hosted the brunch for invited guests. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and then served fabulous Bloody Mary's. The also served Mimosas, which looked great.

The main course was filet, quiche, breakfast potatoes and fresh fruit. It was WONDERFUL! Couple the great meal with the warmth of hosts and the ambiance of the facility and you have an outstanding dining experience.

Although I have been to Charleston many times this was my first visit to the Chop House. It will NOT be my last. I highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to many more meals there. Don't miss it if you are Charleston.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“WOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

It just so happend to be Restaurant Week and we noticed the place the night before. Our wonderful Front Desk Host at the Francis Marion, Jodi, highly recommened it. I simply can't say enough about this restaurant. I have been in travel for 33 years, dined all over the world and this is definitely one of the Top 10 Restaurants on my all time FAVORITE LIST of places I have actually been. (Plus, I have very high standards) The service was impeccable, I mean to the point that I was taken back! The food was everything and more. So creative, yet totally southern!
I will definitely make reservations when I go back to Charleston in March. WOW! Well worth the $$$

1 Thank CarolynReames